LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW on core M processor

Solved!
Go to solution
Hi everyone, I want to buy a lightweight and long battery life and i found a lot very good laptop with core M processors. But i doubt the performance of these CPUs. I am not a professional software guy but mainly focused on electronics and optics. Most of the time i use labview as a general programming tools to communicate with hard wares through serial port/spi/ethernet. sometimes i will do offline data processing like fitting/array processing. Is there anyone tried labview on laptops with core m cpu like asus ux305? is there any problem? thanks a lot!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,060 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Chengxian

It will install and run fine for light LabVIEW use, things will just take longer than if you had a more powerful machine - especially if you are doing a lot of data processing. Perhaps more importantly - if you are connecting hardware, you need to be aware of how many USB / Ethernet ports the laptop has. You'll need a USB port for a USB to Serial adapter and the UX305 doesn't look like it has an ethernet port so you would need a USB to Ethernet as well. Some USB devices don't play well with USB hubs either.

Personally as a LabVIEW professional, I wouldn't do any development on a laptop with anything less than an i5 processor, 8GB RAM. I would also prefer an SSD and an external monitor/KB/mouse. LabVIEW with a touchpad is not fun.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,017 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Chengxian

I have an old P3 256Meg RAM Windows XP system here in the lab that except for haveing to disable SSE extentions with building an exicutible, runs LabVIEW just fine. 

Core M should be more than enough power

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
Message 3 of 5
(2,993 Views)

Thank you Sam! I will increase my budget a bit to get a better one.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,902 Views)

Thank you RTSLVU!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,901 Views)