cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW does not run HP4140B .vis

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all, 

I am having a problem with HP 4140B. I cannot run the examples in the library of the instrument. Attached is a screenshot of the error. 

I link the laptop with the instrument via a GPIB-USB ADLINK 3488A.

NI VISA sees the GPIB connection and I can do basic queries with the instrument. But LabVIEW doesn't run.

Please help.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(3,680 Views)

Try to connect with GPIB cable your instrument to the PC. Don't forget to configure your instrument Adress :!

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(3,649 Views)

My pc  does not have  GPIB socket. 

I have LabVIEW 2013 , windows 8.1

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(3,646 Views)

I don't think I have to do something special for the configuration of the instrument address. Attached is a  screenshot of the VISApanel where you see that the instrument address is 17 and I can query successfully the instrument via VISA. The same address (17) I enter in the LabVIEW vi without result. Please help. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(3,641 Views)

@SVP1 wrote:

My pc  does not have  GPIB socket. 

I have LabVIEW 2013 , windows 8.1

You said you had a GPIB connection in your first post.  So which is it?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(3,640 Views)

You have to be a bit more descriptive than "LabVIEW doesn't run."

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(3,636 Views)

I said that the connection between the laptop and the instrument is a gpib (HP 4140b) to usb connection (laptop).

I have already attached a screenshot of the LabVIEW error.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(3,630 Views)

I bet it is not working because your code works for GPIB connection. You have to work on your VISA ressource name to tell it is not GPIB/GPIB cable. Sending your VI or screenshot of your connection parameters could help...

BR,

Vincent

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(3,597 Views)

Thank you very much for your time. I didn't understand yesterday what you wrote about the cable but I get it now. I don't have a GPIB-USB cable , only the card.

Before I'll try to do what you said about the GPIB and VISA resource name, I'll try to install LabVIEW 32 bit since my adlink card maybe does not support 64 bit labview:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/Instrument-Control-GPIB-Serial/Error-connecting-to-GPIB-driver-or-device/m-...

Attached are pictures of my code and GPIB parameters.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(3,593 Views)

Let me add something else. The adlink gpib control communicates successfully through the port 0.  VISA interactive control communicates successfully through port 17 and it doesn't let me  change the port (screenshot). Labview does not communicate neither through 0 nor through 17.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(3,590 Views)