LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW and git

Hello everyone.

I am using git for well known reasons. Now I have to use it with a co-developer.

The big question now concerns the .gitignore file content.

Shall the *.lvproj file also be written in the .gitignore file? That means this fill is not tracked within git. Each developer has its ownl version of *.lvproj. We already had some crashes if this file is not listed in  .gitignore.

Does anyone know a proven workaround?

The minimal .gitignore content

*.lvlps
       *.aliases
       *.lvproj

Thanks for all the hints

Regards

Rafl

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,889 Views)

@BetESys wrote:

Shall the *.lvproj file also be written in the .gitignore file? That means this fill is not tracked within git. Each developer has its ownl version of *.lvproj.

Why? If it's the same project, the file should be the same for each developer. If it's not the same project, it shouldn't be in the same repo anyway.

If there are absolute paths that causes the changes, the project should be rearranged to use relative paths.

@BetESys wrote:

We already had some crashes if this file is not listed in  .gitignore.

You should tell git to treat .lvproj files as binary. If not, it will merge the XML of the files. Same for lvclass files. It should not be in the ignore list.

@BetESys wrote:

*.lvlps
       *.aliases

These can safely be ignored. LV will make them anyway, and they can\will be different for each user.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,877 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

@BetESys wrote:

Shall the *.lvproj file also be written in the .gitignore file? That means this fill is not tracked within git. Each developer has its ownl version of *.lvproj.

Why? If it's the same project, the file should be the same for each developer. If it's not the same project, it shouldn't be in the same repo anyway.

If there are absolute paths that causes the changes, the project should be rearranged to use relative paths.

@BetESys wrote:

We already had some crashes if this file is not listed in  .gitignore.

You should tell git to treat .lvproj files as binary. If not, it will merge the XML of the files. Same for lvclass files. It should not be in the ignore list.

@BetESys wrote:

*.lvlps
       *.aliases

These can safely be ignored. LV will make them anyway, and they can\will be different for each user.

You can add .lvlib files to the binary list.  I've had a recent unfortunate experience where a library was accidentally worked on in two different places, and in both instances, modified in a way that produced a modified .lvlib file.  SVN decided to be smart and resolve the conflict behind my back by merging them.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 3 of 4
(3,856 Views)

See this thread.

That list might be complete (probably not though):

*.vi binary
*.vim binary
*.lvproj binary
*.lvclass binary
*.lvlps binary
*.aliases binary
*.lvlib binary