LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW Roadmap (2022)

@GGT wrote:

I (and I'm sure many others) welcome the long overdue introduction of a Data Grid control, although I'll have probably retired before I see it. Better late than never, I suppose.

I hope they'll ask for advice on the grid control.

I also made one. I get a feeling that a native grid control just won't be able to do what I'm doing.

One of the things I require, is to be able to add my own "controls", like: custom color pickers (don't get me started), line style and width, point style selection (picture rings are rather ugly), etc.

Making custom popups (like a custom color picker) behave like the build in popups (colorbox, enum, ring, combobox) is extremely challenging. Esp. if it needs to behave with modal parent windows.

Until we're able to make controls that do what NIs controls do, we're limited to those controls. And a grid control won't be nearly as powerful as I (and my customers) would like.

Message 21 of 105
(3,927 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

@GGT wrote:

I (and I'm sure many others) welcome the long overdue introduction of a Data Grid control, although I'll have probably retired before I see it. Better late than never, I suppose.

I hope they'll ask for advice on the grid control.

I also made one. I get a feeling that a native grid control just won't be able to do what I'm doing.

One of the things I require, is to be able to add my own "controls", like: custom color pickers (don't get me started), line style and width, point style selection (picture rings are rather ugly), etc.

Making custom popups (like a custom color picker) behave like the build in popups (colorbox, enum, ring, combobox) is extremely challenging. Esp. if it needs to behave with modal parent windows.

Until we're able to make controls that do what NIs controls do, we're limited to those controls. And a grid control won't be nearly as powerful as I (and my customers) would like.

Fully agree here. When I designed mine I needed very specific variable types. They were displaying a memory map and doing checksum calculations, so I couldn't just use a double to represent any number. It needed to be a bit-perfect match to the memory it was displaying. No other datagrid that I found (like the Qcontrol example one or the .net one) had enough customization over data types, so I had to make my own.

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 105
(3,879 Views)

Bert,

LabVIEW will continue with its current 6-month release cycles.  We count each of those releases in the statement "1-2 releases".  We were trying on that document to indicate the difference between "near term" and "further out" without getting locked into a discussion on "what date".

Eric Reffett | Director, Product Management | 1.512.683.8165 | ni.com
0 Kudos
Message 23 of 105
(3,839 Views)

The LabVIEW R&D team is currently reviewing this.  I believe they will have new information on this shortly.

Eric Reffett | Director, Product Management | 1.512.683.8165 | ni.com
Message 24 of 105
(3,828 Views)

LabVIEW will support gRPC in the future. Does that mean that LabVIEW may support Microservice framework?

Message 25 of 105
(3,786 Views)

@EricR  a écrit :
NI created this view so that we could specifically share with all LabVIEW users. We agree that showing this in some way is a useful communication tool.

A pdf is a snapshot, it's barely better than nothing, I expect much more from NI.

A snapshot is up to date only the day it's published and will inevitably become obsolete, show more love to the community, create a page ni.com/roadmaps and keep it up to date.

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

Message 26 of 105
(3,613 Views)

@TiTou wrote:

@EricR  a écrit :
NI created this view so that we could specifically share with all LabVIEW users. We agree that showing this in some way is a useful communication tool.

A pdf is a snapshot, it's barely better than nothing, I expect much more from NI.

A snapshot is up to date only the day it's published and will inevitably become obsolete, show more love to the community, create a page ni.com/roadmaps and keep it up to date.

Once gRPC is ready, we could have a gRPC interface to the current roadmap 😁.

0 Kudos
Message 27 of 105
(3,590 Views)

@TiTou wrote:

@EricR  a écrit :

And as such, the PDF really should have a date so that we can judge how likely the data is to be relevant or not. I'm assuming there'll be more versions of this in future?

0 Kudos
Message 28 of 105
(3,458 Views)

@Intaris wrote:

@TiTou wrote:

@EricR  a écrit :

And as such, the PDF really should have a date so that we can judge how likely the data is to be relevant or not. I'm assuming there'll be more versions of this in future?

I might be asking for a bit much here, but it would also be nice to see how well NI holds to the roadmap.  It could be something as simple as "We planned for X in Q2 2023, released in Q4 2023" with a 2-3 sentence description of the released feature.  Just holding the last 3 years' worth of releases would be nice.  I tend to upgrade every 3 years, so this would help in seeing what new features I could use.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 29 of 105
(3,441 Views)

"to write the actual code and add it as a hidden feature to the product (with semi-official INI file leak to let the very brave play with it)" .... you made my day, Sir Kalbermatter.  And you always hav been a great inspiration with rock solid posts; I guess min. for the last 15++ years, right? Thanks for all that engagement back the old JKI-ish days! Mysupersecretstuff and Mr.T. again 😉

Being a swiss knife for half a century...
Message 30 of 105
(2,901 Views)