From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW Home Edition???

@Scott_Jordan wrote:

Jim, you're absolutely right.  The Arduino Compatible Compiler for LabVIEW is a work of art, and great fun to play with, and entirely functional.  Highly, highly recommended.

And it kind of proves my point, that lightweight deployment is what "makers" are all about.  

It shows a single use case.  "Makers" are a wide variety of people.  It sounds like many of us, myself included, here are trying to box the idea of a maker into how we'd ideally use this at home.  Personally, I don't see the value in buying a minimalist system to run a single exe at home.  If I rationalize that, I can rationalize purchasing the application builder as an addon.  Keep in mind you can add modules and toolkits as they each have their own license.  Making is about putting together an application where you learn and have some fun in the process.  We shouldn't try to focus on one subset of the maker community.  It's certainly not all about lightweight deployment nor is it all about certifications.

Message 61 of 114
(2,667 Views)

@Scott_Jordan wrote:

Bill, the maker community is leavened by frameworks that offer zero cost of entry.  It's not greedy to want to see LabVIEW (and, by extension, the rest of NI's extensive product offering) succeed in this new community alongside options like Python.  

But the $49 (US) price is less of an issue than the omission of an application builder.  "Making" is often about deployment on minimalist hardware.  To have the full development package as the only option for maker deployment represents a significant impedance mismatch with this new marketplace.

IMHO of course-- whether I'm right or wrong, I hope NI succeeds in its outreach to the maker community.  LabVIEW and its community has so much to offer.

I am about to demo this to our local maker space along with the Arduino Compiler and get them to buy one or two.

I find the watermark distracting, it would be nice if it went away during run.

The lack of a LV compiler is also a limiting factor. I could see many applications in the maker community where a project could be written on the maker space's LV and compiled for the maker to take home.

Since they can put that big ol' watermark on the panel why not put a pop-up in the compiler that would be displayed on launch of the compiled program stating it is for noncommercial used only?

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 62 of 114
(2,648 Views)

By compiler, are you talking about the application builder?  G code is compiled as you modify the code in LabVIEW.  There's definitely a compiler.

0 Kudos
Message 63 of 114
(2,627 Views)

@natasftw wrote:

By compiler, are you talking about the application builder?  G code is compiled as you modify the code in LabVIEW.  There's definitely a compiler.

Yes the application builder. Having this would also make LIFA more usable.

Every time an application built by the "Home" version is launched have it pop-up a box that you must click on to agree that the application is used for non commercial purposes only and can not be sold. Give a number to report violators and if NI was quick to respond it would reduce the chances of widespread violations.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
Message 64 of 114
(2,565 Views)

@RTSLVU wrote:

@natasftw wrote:

Yes the application builder. Having this would also make LIFA more usable.

Every time an application built by the "Home" version is launched have it pop-up a box that you must click on to agree that the application is used for non commercial purposes only and can not be sold. Give a number to report violators and if NI was quick to respond it would reduce the chances of widespread violations.

Nice idea!

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 65 of 114
(2,550 Views)

@RTSLVU wrote:

Give a number to report violators and if NI was quick to respond it would reduce the chances of widespread violations.

Except the cases where the people violating these agreements, are also the end user of the software, and they don't care about clicking a nag screen every time they run their software if it means saving thousands.  How many people had Winzip nag screen for years because it saves a couple bucks?  Not me I'm a 7-zip man, but I've seen it.

Message 66 of 114
(2,549 Views)

I'll be very interested in buying this when it's available in the UK and for Mac.

0 Kudos
Message 67 of 114
(2,493 Views)

This is a dream come true!  Can finally  work  play again with LabVIEW after having been away for years.  Thank you Sam.. and NI. 

-Khalid

PS:  Here's one vote for Mac version.

Message 68 of 114
(2,401 Views)

Labview Home plus Arduino Compiler

An excellent start, great news

Have purchased both and am working onlearning how they work together

First the Arduino next the Pi

The ability to run on the Pi or the Beaglebone Black would be my vote for the next step

Not sure how NI would do it, but I am sure they have lots of smart people

0 Kudos
Message 69 of 114
(2,263 Views)

Hooovahh wrote: Except the cases where the people violating these agreements, are also the end user of the software, and they don't care about clicking a nag screen every time they run their software if it means saving thousands.

Just my two cents but this is a very good reason not to include the application builder in the Home Edition. If they truely want this, then I'd say make the price high so that the user would have to at leaset get the Base system which would already come with the app builder.

0 Kudos
Message 70 of 114
(2,204 Views)