LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW Home Edition???

LabVIEW Home Edition is available for anyone for non-commercial use.  The old Sparkfun bundle included the Student version of LabVIEW which  is licensed for student use only.  We're currently working with Sparkfun to create a new bundle with LabVIEW Home.  Software feature wise Home and Student are the same.

LabVIEW Home is Windows only for now, but we'd like to hear feedback from people that would like Mac / Linux support.

Thanks!

-Sam K

Message 51 of 114
(2,917 Views)

Sam K,

I have been a user of LabVIEW on the Mac since version 1.2.  While I have a license for the full version and do not need the Home Edition myself, I had someone ask just this month at our local Mac Users Group whether something like Home Edtion was available for the Mac. Several other members fo the  group are engineers or retired engineers or scientists and might be interested.  I gave a presentation to the group a couple of years ago which included a LV demo. There was some interest then but not at the commercial price.

Lynn

Message 52 of 114
(2,896 Views)

Please consider this a vote for Mac and Linux support.

And also a vote for including an application builder.  I have multiple computers, some with limited resources, and an .exe makes a lot more sense for them.

Message 53 of 114
(2,865 Views)

@Scott_Jordan wrote:

Please consider this a vote for Mac and Linux support.

And also a vote for including an application builder.  I have multiple computers, some with limited resources, and an .exe makes a lot more sense for them.

I agree that an application builder would be really nice, but I think that's being a bit greedy for $50.  I'd rather have it increment and keep current even if it means buying a full $50 license each time and not at some reduced upgrade fee.  Especially if it comes down to having one feature or the other.

This request also comes under the "bit greedy" category, but would the license include access to previous LabVIEW versions like the "big" licenses?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 54 of 114
(2,833 Views)

@RTSLVU wrote:

Do you run all your programs from the development environment?

I want to be able to write a program and compile it so I can run it on a less powerful computer, like I do now at work.

Compare the requirements of an development system vurses the runtime

http://www.ni.com/labview/requirements/

Processor Pentium III/Celeron 866 MHz or equivalent Pentium 4/M or equivalent
RAM 256 MB 1 GB

I run several application from development, even on live test stations. Some VI's require that solution and in other cases it's dynamic changes where i can replace a couple of vi's instead of doing a big build.

That being said, most of the extra requirements are from the debugging and system itself, just create a source distribution with debugging disabled and the requirements should be very similar to the compiled files.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 55 of 114
(2,782 Views)

Bill, the maker community is leavened by frameworks that offer zero cost of entry.  It's not greedy to want to see LabVIEW (and, by extension, the rest of NI's extensive product offering) succeed in this new community alongside options like Python.  

But the $49 (US) price is less of an issue than the omission of an application builder.  "Making" is often about deployment on minimalist hardware.  To have the full development package as the only option for maker deployment represents a significant impedance mismatch with this new marketplace.

IMHO of course-- whether I'm right or wrong, I hope NI succeeds in its outreach to the maker community.  LabVIEW and its community has so much to offer.

Message 56 of 114
(2,748 Views)

@Scott_Jordan wrote:

Bill, the maker community is leavened by frameworks that offer zero cost of entry.  It's not greedy to want to see LabVIEW (and, by extension, the rest of NI's extensive product offering) succeed in this new community alongside options like Python.  

But the $49 (US) price is less of an issue than the omission of an application builder.  "Making" is often about deployment on minimalist hardware.  To have the full development package as the only option for maker deployment represents a significant impedance mismatch with this new marketplace.

IMHO of course-- whether I'm right or wrong, I hope NI succeeds in its outreach to the maker community.  LabVIEW and its community has so much to offer.

The application builders lists at $1.5 k.  It just seems a bit greedy to ask for essentially the professional edition for $50.

But I think we're discussing different needs here, anyway.  I'd like to see the price remain at $50 (or so) because I'd like to use this mainly as an inexpensive tool to keep up with the latest LabVIEW - and by extension - my cert.  You want as many features it the home version as possible with flexibility on the price because you are more than a "casual user" at home.

Of course we do agree that it would be nice if this could push LabVIEW to a "critical mass" that would expose it to the general public.  That's kind of a scary thought though.  Just think of what the forums would be like.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 57 of 114
(2,724 Views)

First, I'm really excited about this. I think LV has huge potential in the hobbyist/maker market. Big thanks to Sammy_K for getting the ball rolling on this and all his contributions to the LabVIEW community.

As for the Application Builder issue, I don't think it's necessary right now. A lot of the initial market for LV Home will be people messing around with an Arduino, making LEDs blink, etc. Essentially using it as an educational tool more than anything. $50 is a great price point for that and the addition of the controls module is an almost unnecessary luxury for those people. For NI's purposes that'll be perfect.

However I have Application Builder at work and I can certainly see the utility value for a home market. Maybe someday there could be an Advanced Home version for $150-200 that would include Application Builder, an option for license renewal to the current version, and a few more modules?

Xander Cesari
Automotive/Internal Combustion Test Engineer
CLAD certified, mainly focused on data acquisition
Been LabVIEWing for a few years, still a lot to learn
Message 58 of 114
(2,705 Views)

"But the $49 (US) price is less of an issue than the omission of an application builder.  "Making" is often about deployment on minimalist hardware."

It is possible to deploy onto Arduino hardware using the Arduino™ Compatible Compiler for LabVIEW by Aledyne-TSXperts. Granted, that is another $99, but it's still cheap enough to encourage a lot of experimentation by hobbyists and students, which is what this is mostly targeted at IMHO. Even without the application builder, it be quite interesting to see what the community does with this.  For example, I am looking at controlling model train layouts using the DCC protocols and this is perfect for that. I expect a number of folks in the FIRST community will be using this to create stuff for the robotics competitions, too. That is a big win in my book!

Kind regards,

Jim Smith

Message 59 of 114
(2,667 Views)

Jim, you're absolutely right.  The Arduino Compatible Compiler for LabVIEW is a work of art, and great fun to play with, and entirely functional.  Highly, highly recommended.

And it kind of proves my point, that lightweight deployment is what "makers" are all about.  

0 Kudos
Message 60 of 114
(2,650 Views)