Did you mean: 

LabVIEW Home Edition???

Bummer
0 Kudos
Message 91 of 114
(2,027 Views)

@tapnair wrote:
Bummer

Well to be fair, if I'm NI, and there is a Home edition for $50 that can build EXEs, what is stopping a corporation from using this software in all of their testers?  I could have a production line being ran from LabVIEW, with end of line testers, re-work stations, station monitoring, etc.  All built on a platform that only costs $50.  Now sure this goes against the terms of the license but it probably is a concern.

Having these watermarks on an EXE reduces the likelihood that someone would abuse the Home edition this way.  Don't get me wrong if all things are equal I would want LabVIEW to just be free for home use (including application builder) without watermarks.  But NI seems to be moving in the right direction.

Message 92 of 114
(1,982 Views)
I'm pretty sure "bummer" was in reference to no Mac support, not the application builder.
0 Kudos
Message 93 of 114
(1,971 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

@tapnair wrote:
Bummer

Well to be fair, if I'm NI, and there is a Home edition for $50 that can build EXEs, what is stopping a corporation from using this software in all of their testers?  I could have a production line being ran from LabVIEW, with end of line testers, re-work stations, station monitoring, etc.  All built on a platform that only costs $50.  Now sure this goes against the terms of the license but it probably is a concern.

Having these watermarks on an EXE reduces the likelihood that someone would abuse the Home edition this way.  Don't get me wrong if all things are equal I would want LabVIEW to just be free for home use (including application builder) without watermarks.  But NI seems to be moving in the right direction.

I understand this, but I would much rather have a dialog pop-up on execution stating home/student edition is for noncommercial use only.. etc that you have to click on and agree to before the program will launch. Build this right into the Application Builder so there is no way to compile without it.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 94 of 114
(1,949 Views)

@Kristoff2 wrote:

Yes, built applications will remain watermarked.

No Mac support is planned at this point.

-Sam K

Speaking of the Application Builder where can we download that? I looked for it last night on NI but could not find any where to download it alone.

http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/212941

Do I have to download the full LV 2014 and install it again?

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 95 of 114
(1,945 Views)
Yes I was referencing no Mac support. I love the idea of a home use license and have no problem paying, just wished it was cross platform as it appears lab view is in general. Maybe one day?
0 Kudos
Message 96 of 114
(1,897 Views)

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but what are the chances of Linux support in the near future?

Message 97 of 114
(1,886 Views)

@CMal wrote:

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but what are the chances of Linux support in the near future?

I do not use LV under Linux, but for sure a big part of the "hobbyists" use Linux for development. NI could reach a much bigger crowd by releasing a LV Home Edition for Linux...

0 Kudos
Message 98 of 114
(1,879 Views)

I think the chances of a LabVIEW Home for Linux are about on par with a Mac version.   I'll poke around and see how big the hurdle is.  Even if we do have a Linux / Mac version you will only be able to deploy to BBB/RPI from the Windows version because the Mac / Linux version of LabVIEW do not include the components required for deployment (even to NI targets).

-Sam K

Message 99 of 114
(1,877 Views)

Brilliant news about the Application Builder and deploying to Raspberry Pi - thanks, NI, and I can't wait to try those out.

As for Mac support, we continue to live in hope...

0 Kudos
Message 100 of 114
(1,798 Views)