LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW Community Edition

This is coming about 15 years too late... they have a way to  go to catch up with  Python and Node Red, in the Maker world

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 68
(9,916 Views)

The link I included in the first post has gone bad.

The one in this post still works as of this AM.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 22 of 68
(9,899 Views)

Good morning all. 

First, here is the actual announcement page, which now includes a link to the download for the LINX toolkit: https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-2019-LINX-Toolkit-Beta/LabVIEW-2019-LINX-Toolkit-Beta-Download/td-p...

1. This was presented at GDevCon.  NI intentionally chose to announce this at a LabVIEW Community event (GDevCon) and not at an NI event.
  2. I was the presenter.  As the LabVIEW and LabVIEW NXG Planning Lead, it was my honor to announce this addition to the NI product offering at the GDevCon community event.
  3. While the initial download is just the LINX toolkit (which targets Arduino, RaspberryPi, Beaglebone devices), the Technical Preview Program is also where we will host the Beta version of the LabVIEW Community Edition, which will be available later in Q4 2019.
  4. The full version of the product will release in 2020 along with new versions of LabVIEW and LabVIEW NXG.
  5. There will be both a LabVIEW Community Edition, and a LabVIEW NXG Community Edition.
  6. Other details will be released in these forums so be on the lookout for more information published here and in other LabVIEW community forums.
  7. As I mentioned in the GDevCon announcement, the LabVIEW Community Edition is completely free, and has no Watermarks on it.  It includes all of the functionality of the LabVIEW Professional Edition, including the ability to build and deploy executables.  The only restrictions on it is that it must be used for non-commercial and non-educational usage.  This means controlling your RC Train setup with it is AWESOME and I hope you share that with the community as a whole since I'll use it with my LGB setup at my house as well.  Using it to build a professional test system that you sell to your customers is bad and I hope you won't do that. 
  8. I encourage all of you who are skeptical about this to a) download and start using the LINX toolkit functionality now in your existing LabVIEW 2019; b) sign up for the Technical Preview so you are automatically notified when NI publishes the Beta; c) download use and tell all your friends about the Community Edition when it is released in 2020.
  9. If you have additional questions and you really just can't wait for NI to get these things live on our website and released for everyone to use, please feel free to contact me directly.  I love the skeptics in the community as they have kept NI honest and I promise to stick with you and answer as many questions as I can.

Eric Reffett

eric.reffett@ni.com

LabVIEW and LabVIEW NXG Planning Lead

(Its not fake news, I promise.  That said, I totally understand why some of you are skeptical)

Eric Reffett | Director, Product Management | 1.512.683.8165 | ni.com
Message 23 of 68
(9,840 Views)

@EricR wrote:

Good morning all. 

First, here is the actual announcement page, which now includes a link to the download for the LINX toolkit: https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-2019-LINX-Toolkit-Beta/LabVIEW-2019-LINX-Toolkit-Beta-Download/td-p...

ACCESS DENIED

You do not have access to view this page or to perform this action.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 24 of 68
(9,833 Views)

@RTSLVU wrote:

@EricR wrote:

Good morning all. 

ACCESS DENIED

That link worked for me but I think I am automatically signed up for Beta testing.

Re: railroad code...

I have 579 hours left to work before I retire and can put time into upgrading the code for that layout.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 25 of 68
(9,821 Views)

@RTSLVU wrote:

@EricR wrote:

Good morning all. 

ACCESS DENIED

You need to sign up for the NI Software Technology Preview.  That is also where you get the NXG Betas and a few other previews.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 26 of 68
(9,824 Views)

"The only restrictions on it is that it must be used for non-commercial and non-educational usage. " Cat Sad . I understand the commercial restriction, but why educational usage? I teach a LabVIEW class at a community college and every term some of my students struggle with Studica. I was really hoping that this program would eliminate LVSE.

0 Kudos
Message 27 of 68
(9,648 Views)

LabVIEW has an Academic Site Licence that covers academic usage and costs money (don't know how much, hear it's a big discount, but still somewhat expensive depending on your budget etc). Seems unlikely they'd want to throw away that entire market.

(ASL includes the training stuff via SSP and a full professional version of LabVIEW, so it's pretty great - but again, I don't know the price...)

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 28 of 68
(9,620 Views)

Great news, this will also include toolkits lkie vision, advanced math and others?

0 Kudos
Message 29 of 68
(9,554 Views)

It will work with them, but they will not be included. AFAIK.

Certain toolkits are being discussed if my information is correct, but currently, only the code mentioned int he Post from NI is included.

0 Kudos
Message 30 of 68
(9,529 Views)