LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW Community Edition

As a 20+ year LabVIEW developer, I can assure you that NI may release a "LabVIEW Professional Version" by itself without the "Evaluation Version" watermark plastered all over the place, but it WILL NOT be the full "LabVIEW Professional Development System".

I am 99% positive that you will NOT be able to create executable files or deploy code to different target devices with this "FREE" version of LabVIEW.

Message 11 of 68
(3,436 Views)

@PeterBallard wrote:

As a 20+ year LabVIEW developer, I can assure you that NI may release a "LabVIEW Professional Version" by itself without the "Evaluation Version" watermark plastered all over the place, but it WILL NOT be the full "LabVIEW Professional Development System".

I am 99% positive that you will NOT be able to create executable files or deploy code to different target devices with this "FREE" version of LabVIEW.

Neither did I think they would release a version for $50 that allowed yo to to build executables - but they did.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 12 of 68
(3,426 Views)

@PeterBallard wrote:

Quoting Sargent Shultz "I know nothing!"

But let's toy with you being correct.

If I have to load the LabVIEW Community Edition" on my laptop to be able to run my model railroad.

Layout.JPG

(uses a serial connection to an old school Bruce Chubb I/O subsystem) 

I can live with that. Smiley Wink

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 13 of 68
(3,418 Views)

Sorry...  but like Bigfoot and UFO's I find it hard to believe without the physical evidence. 

Even if it is "FREE" for private home use to automate your train set. How is NI going to stop people from deploying applications developed with this?

I'll believe it when I see it.

I guess I'm just a dummy for purchasing LabVIEW all these years when I coulda just waited for the free version.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 68
(3,407 Views)

@PeterBallard wrote:

Sorry...  but like Bigfoot and UFO's I find it hard to believe without the physical evidence. 

Even if it is "FREE" for private home use to automate your train set. How is NI going to stop people from deploying applications developed with this?

I guess I'm just a dummy for purchasing LabVIEW all these years when I coulda just waited for the free version.

Far from it!

A man ahead of his time and willing to invest in a good idea when he sees it!

If this does turn out to be the Loc Ness monster in the end it will save me having to update my license as well.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 68
(3,401 Views)

@PeterBallard wrote:

Pretty much the way they "stopped" deployment of executables built with the Home Edition - with a watermark and some measure of trust.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 68
(3,395 Views)

It is the complete professional version, application builder included.

Yes. Its happening. It is real (based on the information I have).

NI has even stated that code created with it and made available can be later used in commercial products (with a paid license). This is just what the community needs.

Message 17 of 68
(3,299 Views)

Oh. BTW. Deploys to common targets like arduino and linx will be included. I may have faulty memory on precisely which ones, but the statement of intent was clearly to support "hobby" hardware.

Just let that sink in. I'll be the first to admit it is so NOT NI but megakudos for the change. Long may it continue.

I was at the presentation at GDevCon.

Message 18 of 68
(3,294 Views)

Link doesnt work!

Ken

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 68
(3,257 Views)

Err 403 Forbidden

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 68
(3,249 Views)