LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LV Application Builder: solving "The system cannot find the file specified." error?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello everyone,

I don't mind banging my head off of something that feels complex but it's always frustrating to be stumped by something that seems simple... I have LabVIEW 2014 and Application Builder. I've built an program that runs flawlessly as a VI, then compiles and runs flawlessly as a .exe. But I can't seem to get the installer to work. I get the following error:

LVAB Installer Error.JPG

Per the suggestions in this thread and this KB article, I created a new installer build spec, then a new application build spec, then a new project with all my VIs in it, building and testing the installer at each step. None of that seemed to make a difference.

I ran the installer as admin, I created the install directories ahead of time (in case it didn't have the privileges to create folders), and built an installer without the Run-Time in it. None of that worked either. Lastly, I played around with putting all my subVIs in a library.

So since the tutorial worked I'm assuming that it's some quirk in my program. Does anyone have any experience or advice as to what specific aspects of a program play nice with the AB installers? It's one primary VI, less than a dozen subVIs, a few Type Defs, and no hardware integration. Seems like a pretty straightforward and simple program but maybe something in there is persona non grata with Application Builder?

Xander Cesari
Automotive/Internal Combustion Test Engineer
CLAD certified, mainly focused on data acquisition
Been LabVIEWing for a few years, still a lot to learn
Message 1 of 5
(3,291 Views)

Are you running the installer from within a zip file, for example?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,273 Views)

Hello,

Thanks for the response. Nope, I'm running it from a regular directory, in the same folder as the rest of my project. Here's the project window showing the folder directory:

EMCA Project.JPG

Xander Cesari
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,271 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author xander.cesari

Are you running in deep subfolders with long folder names and file names? Maybe some of the paths get too long to handle?

Message 4 of 5
(3,242 Views)

Whoa that worked! I was running about 5 folders deep from the root C drive but I suppose somewhere in there things got weird. I moved the installer folder to the root directory and it worked.

That's some wizardry, good catch!

Xander Cesari
Message 5 of 5
(3,239 Views)