LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with windows 7 after Labview 2012 installation

Hi

I am having some issues after installing Labview 2012 on machines running Windows 7. Firstly, after installing a program on a user's machine, the machine sometimes takes 20 minutes to boot up before the user can log on. The 'Please Wait' message appears during this time. This is also the case on the development machine.

Secondly, on the development machine, I am having an issue when trying to run compiled programs created in Labview. When installing, everything works fine but when I go to open the program, it appears on the task bar for a brief period before closing. It does not appear in the task manager either. I have tried this on 2 other machines with windows 7 and Labview installed and still get the same issue.

Any help on these matters would be much appreciated. Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 24
(6,451 Views)

You should take a look into the Windows Event Log. I would expect to see some entries there referring to NI services not able to start properly.

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 24
(6,441 Views)

We're also having similar issues.

After installing either LabVIEW 2012, or the LabVIEW 2012 run time engine, Windows 7 start up is extremely slow (up to 45 minutes in some cases). Uninstall the NI software and Windows start up is fine again.

We suspect some interference between NI services loaded on start up and some other software, but we've yet to find time to test what's really going on.

Anyone else seen this problem?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 24
(6,305 Views)

Hi

Firstly, looking at the issue with the slow Windows 7 boot up time, as Norbert_B suggested the Windows Event Log is a good starting point to find the root of the problem. The following link describes how to launch “Event Viewer” and some common problems:

http://itexpertvoice.com/home/what%E2%80%99s-taking-so-long-how-to-fight-slow-startup-times-in-windo...

Aside from that, if your computer is part of a domain, the problem may be connected with certain Windows Services that start automatically on boot up. I recommend trying the following steps:

1. Open up “Control Panel” go to “System and Security” then “Administrative Tools” from here launch “Services”.
  2. Sort the list by name and scroll down to “Network Store Interface Service” right click and select “Properties”. Under the startup type dropdown select “Automatic (Delayed Start)”.
  3. Next scroll down to the “WebClient” service again under “Properties” this time select “Disabled” under the startup type.

As for the problem with running LabVIEW executables, I have a few questions:

1. Do you get any error codes when it closes automatically?
  2.  Does this occur for multiple executables or just one in particular?
  3.  Does the code run without a problem within LabVIEW?
  4.  Have you tried to update LabVIEW?
  5. What hardware are you running?

Without this information I can only think it may be caused by the Windows Data Execution Prevention (DEP) security feature. So you can try the following steps:

1. Right click on “Computer” and select “Properties”.
  2. Click on “Advanced System Settings” and select the “Advanced tab, then under the performance section click “Settings”.
  3. Click the “Data Execution Prevention” tab.
  4. Make sure it is activated for essential Windows programs and services only, or you have an exception for your EXE.

You may also find the following link helpful on debugging applications:

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361H-01/lvhowto/debug_apps_dlls/

Let me know if these solve the problems.

Andrew.N
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 24
(6,264 Views)

Im  bit out of my element here but can you describe your LV2012 installation?

Is it for 32 bit or 64bit windows?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 24
(6,248 Views)

Andy, thanks for your reply.

I've not had the problem with executables, just the one with slow Windows loading. Thanks for your tips.

Our computers are part of domain, and it may well be to do with the Windows Services as you suggest. I was wondering if by chance someone would see this and recognise exactly where the problem lay (which service conflicts with what else), as it would save us looking for it. I'm sure our installation and domain set up can't be that unusual.

The problem only seems to affect Windows 7 64-bit systems.

We have a few 32-bit Windows 7 machines, these seem to be unaffected. Also LabVIEW 2012 applications seem to run with the LabVIEW 2011 run time engine on 32-bit systems. Is this right? Sounds like it shouldn't work, but I'm not complaining because at the moment our 32-bit machines are working fine.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 24
(6,224 Views)

LV code requires the LV RTE of the same version as it was developed in.

So LV 2012 code (EXE, DLL, ..) requires a LV 2012 LV RTE.

What does the Windows Event Log tell you?

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 24
(6,216 Views)

Hi

Have you tried disabling the “WebClient” service and setting the “Network Store Interface Service” to “Automatic (Delayed Start)”, as described in my previous post?

Another way to try and pinpoint the conflict would be to disable chunks of non-Microsoft services to find the one(s) that may be causing the problem. If altering the two services above doesn’t work try following the steps in the “Determine what is causing the problem” section in this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

Andrew.N
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 24
(6,213 Views)

We have tried disabling the "WebClient" service and setting the "Network Store Interface Service" to "Automatic (Delayed Start)" as you suggested, this has made no difference, still get the slow boot up issue.

We are running a mixture of Windows 7 x86 and x64, both of which are affected, they began this issue immediately after the installation of the Labview 2012 f2 patch. Both developer and client machines are affected, therefore we believe the runtime engine to be the cause. Windows XP machines are not affected at all it seems.

The executable problem described occured after installing patch f3, on both developer and client machines, the only way to get around this is to uninstall all labview components and install only the f3 patched run time engine. Therefore trying to upgrade the runtime engine seems to cause this issue.

Regards,

Paul (collegue of creator of post, Lennie)

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 24
(6,172 Views)

Paul,

2012 f2 patch had an issue, which is discussed there.

I understand that the issue only occurs, if f2 is involved (f2 only or upgrade from f2 to f3). Correct?

Still, we don't know what your Windows Event Log tells you, so unless you make sure that there are no collisions between services, i find this still the most promising reason for the behavior.

Norbert

Norbert
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 24
(6,167 Views)