LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Integrating PuTTY into Labview

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi, the LabView serial port session VIs do not communicate well with my stepper motors (they do not respond to 50% of the stepper motor commands - Excitron stepper motors)   I want to create a VI that integrates the PuTTY serial port session manager into LabView so I can use PuTTY within LabView to control my motors.  Can someone help please?   I have found some mentioning of PIPES to do this but when I try to add it to my block diagram it says its unavailable - that source was from 2006 maybe there is another way now?  I am running LabView 2010 for Windows Vista and I am not allowed to download anything over the internet from here - just FYI.  Thanks Folks  EE

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 19
(13,941 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 19
(13,934 Views)

Thanks - but the JPEG keeps giving me an error when I try to open it???

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 19
(13,930 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 19
(13,922 Views)

Can you be more specific about how the LabVIEW serial VIs fail for you?  Are you using VISA for serial communication?  Why do you expect PuTTY to be more reliable?  It would be worth fixing the LabVIEW problems; I can't imagine why PuTTY would work better.

Message 5 of 19
(13,911 Views)

For some reason LabView doesnt recognize several commands for my stepper motors:

w (wake up)

i (display current settings)

P (display motion profile settings)

Q (run proiles x-y)

It obeys the others but I really need w, P and Q to work

PuTTY runs everything

I am using the basic serial port control VI (given in the examples) for the LabView control

I am using VISA

I was hoping integrating PuTTY would be easy and I could have full control in LabView

Perhaps I should be doing something different in LabView?  I have only been programming for 3 months - it was new to me until then

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 19
(13,892 Views)

I will keep trying thanks

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 19
(13,891 Views)

Can you describe more specifically the way in which those commands fail?  Do you get any response from the motor controller?  My guess is there's some simple setting that needs to be changed, perhaps the end-of-line handling.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 19
(13,885 Views)

Sure

when I type little w for wake up, it accepts it but reads nothing back - its supposed to give the serial numbers of the steppers

when I type little i for display setup parameters, it accepts i but does not read anything back

For normal stepper operation you type in P, then 06 (or whatever profile you want to display) and immediately you get the full motion profile listed in the read

It accepts P and 06 but never displays the profile, just sits with a readout of 06\n

It accepts Q but after Q you are supposed to enter 2 numbers separated by a space, like 05 07 so the program runs profiles 05-07

but this one accepts Q and only gives you the option to enter one number and does nothing

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 19
(13,883 Views)
Its pretty clear that your instrument is NOT accepting what you send. It seems you are sending a LF(\n). Have you tried sending a CR(\r) or both CR and LF at the end?
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 19
(13,878 Views)