Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to monitor wireless signals in a room using LabView

Solved!
Go to solution

Ben wrote: 
It would about that time that you should expect them to observe;

But how can he observe when he is in the chamberSmiley Wink?

Perhaps the $15K for the VNA would be better spent on therapy?

I thought OP is the therapist, trying to confront his client with physical facts.

An USRP can scan the entire spectrum up to x GHz (depending on the model). However, the bandwidth is limited so the spectrum has to he 'scanned'. I'd think a VNA does it the same way, but might be wrong.

Theoretically, a really bad sampling device would work. One that does not have an input filter. Normally, when you same 0-1MHZ, you'd filter so nothing else comes in. But if you filter (let's assume a perfect band pass filter) 0-2MHZ, and you sample it with 0-1MHz, the 1-2MHz will show as wrapped frequencies (1-0MHz). USRP's work like that, they filter from x to x + bandwidth, and sample with bandwidth. So if you don't filter at all, you will see signals from the entire spectrum, but with the limited bandwidth and without knowing what frequency the signal is. I'm no expert, but that should more or less how it works. I'm not sure if an USRP can be set up to not filter at all, or if other devices like that exist. An electrical engineer will probably be able to make this without any problems.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 37
(1,661 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

Ben wrote: 

Too easy.

Using LabVIEW you can not only Acquire and Analyze but you can also Present. Smiley Wink

Save the sweep to file.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 37
(1,652 Views)

@Ben wrote:

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

Ben wrote: 

Too easy.

Using LabVIEW you can not only Acquire and Analyze but you can also Present. Smiley Wink

Save the sweep to file.

Surly a proper conspiratorialist won't fall for that.

Message 13 of 37
(1,646 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

@Ben wrote:

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

Ben wrote: 

Too easy.

Save the sweep to file.

Surly a proper conspiratorialist won't fall for that.

Yes, sadly even a 21-CFR-11 compliant application (admissable in a trial) may not be effective.

I have talked to psychotics in my past and found that as soon as I talked them into a corner, they changed the subject. Perhaps looking to LabVIEW and hardware may be a case of "everything looking like  nail" when the proper tool is antipsychotic drugs.

Spoiler
Reminds me of a quote from an old Memorex disk drive maintenance manual that read "attempts to get the device to run error free is an exercise in futility."

But then again...

The RF chamber and VNA can be used to demonstrate how wrapping the cell phone in tin foil is effective shielding. In that case aluminum foil skivvies may be an acceptable option for the skeptical one.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 37
(1,640 Views)

A VNA uses a phased locked signal to do an analysis of transmitted and reflected signals. 

That's not what he needs.  He needs a very wide band spectrum analyser.

Luckily they are a bit cheaper..

http://www.ni.com/webcast/3693/en/

Tin foil hats are even cheaper yet..

Message 15 of 37
(1,628 Views)

@cstorey wrote:

A VNA uses a phased locked signal to do an analysis of transmitted and reflected signals. 

That's not what he needs.  He needs a very wide band spectrum analyser.

Luckily they are a bit cheaper..

http://www.ni.com/webcast/3693/en/

Tin foil hats are even cheaper yet..

I stand corrected!

Message 16 of 37
(1,622 Views)

Gotta get the science right here or this just won't work.

😉

Message 17 of 37
(1,616 Views)

Also don't forget that a smartly contrived body monitoring bug would spend most of its time quietly recording whatever bio-signals it could and only transmit the info back to the mothership in a quick burst when it detected the subject was sleeping.  So make that faraday cage nice and comfy!

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
Message 18 of 37
(1,594 Views)

Guys.  Stop trying to confuse the original poster

The simple fact is that all space based monitoring of human subjects practiced by them today employs neutrinos.  Placing the subject safely within a body of 2 kilometer sphere heavy water chilled to or below 2K is the only feasible means of preventing monitoring from the outside

Spoiler
No guarantees on subject survivability 

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 19 of 37
(1,583 Views)

If I made a bug, it would detect being in a cage and stop transmitting...

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 37
(1,566 Views)