cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Formula Node is not working

Solved!
Go to solution

hi, 

Im trying one equation in formula node but its showing error.  The  error is attached.

the equation  is   z=(500)/[(2^x)*(y+100)

thank you

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(1,293 Views)
Solution
Accepted by newmemeber123

Just wondering why you might need a formula node when you can achieve the same using LabVIEW primitives as shown below,

santo_13_0-1658159670154.png

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
Message 2 of 10
(1,281 Views)

What happens if you replace the "[]" with "()"?

altenbach_0-1658160212633.png

(Still, I agree that there is not need for a formula node to do all this 😄 )

@newmemeber123 wrote:

The  error is attached.

Next time, please attach your VI instead. It is impossible debug troubleshoot pictures.

Message 3 of 10
(1,279 Views)

You cannot use a bracket ([ or ]) in a formula node.  You need to use the parenthesis, which can be nested.

Just to be somewhat controversial, I sometimes prefer to use a formula node when math gets "weird".  It just seems more natural to read to me.  This is only when the math gets more complicated beyond a few nodes and variables are reused.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 4 of 10
(1,276 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

You cannot use a bracket ([ or ]) in a formula node. 

Yes, you "can", but they have special meaning and are used for array indices, for example. 😄

@crossrulz wrote:

Just to be somewhat controversial, I sometimes prefer to use a formula node when math gets "weird".  It just seems more natural to read to me.  This is only when the math gets more complicated beyond a few nodes and variables are reused.

Except that a few minutes later, we need the same operation where the inputs/outputs are arrays. Graphical code will adapt automatically, while the formula node would need extra work. 😄

Message 5 of 10
(1,265 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

@crossrulz wrote:

You cannot use a bracket ([ or ]) in a formula node. 

Yes, you "can", but they have special meaning and are used for array indices, for example. 😄

I knew I was going to get called out for that shortly after I hit "Post".

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 6 of 10
(1,262 Views)

@newmemeber123 wrote:

Im trying one equation in formula node but its showing error.  The  error is attached.

The error description includes a hint:

Error on line 1 is marked by a '#' character: "z=(500)/[#(2**x).."

So LabVIEW tells you that there is a problem with the bracket.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(1,233 Views)

@ThomasHenkel wrote:
So LabVIEW tells you that there is a problem with the bracket.

One of the reasons I don't use the formula node is that the error messages are so cryptic.

Here, the problem is not with a "missing semicolon" as described and it is never really obvious (at least to me) if the "#" is to the right or left of the problem. 😄

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(1,227 Views)

@altenbach wrote:
and it is never really obvious (at least to me) if the "#" is to the right or left of the problem. 

I'm 98% sure, the '#' is always after the character that caused the error 😉

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(1,223 Views)

@ThomasHenkel wrote:

@altenbach wrote:
and it is never really obvious (at least to me) if the "#" is to the right or left of the problem. 

I'm 98% sure, the '#' is always after the character that caused the error 😉

Yes, after successfully correcting many errors we learn from experience that that's true!

The statement "Error on line 1 marked by a '#' character" is just not concise enough. 

If I were the compiler, I would probably place the # before the problem, delineating the border between good and bad code , i.e. "OK, I was able to successfully parse up to here, but I stumbled going forward". 😄

Good thing we have a graphical code alternative. 🙂

Message 10 of 10
(1,212 Views)