cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extract inner XY coordinates

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I need to calculate the area "inside" the collection of given XY coordinates, basically the inner part of the XY graph.

In know how to calculate area for XY coordinates but I can't figure out how to extract the "inner" ones from this collection.

I hope I was clear... ...

All inputs are welcome!

Regards

Alain

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,148 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Alain_S

I have attempted this with your data.

Capture.PNG

Adjusting the Sensitivity gives fewer or more points, for your data a sensitivity of 14 gave the optimum result. It would scale with how many "loops" your data has, I suggest using double the number of loops.

File attached.

I noticed you used LV2012, so have not utilised the sort 2D array function from LV2017 (or the OpenG one, for ease of sharing)

There may be easier ways which I have missed, and this may be able to be optimised (I've assumed the dataset is small), but this one gives a fairly good set of "inner" XY coordinates. You mentioned you could do the rest.

Let me know if it works for you.

Ian
LabVIEW since 2012
Message 2 of 10
(4,110 Views)

Ed. This is basically the same first step as IanSh proposed above.

Not a solution, but a tip: try converting carthesian coordinates to cylindrical. Then calculate the area under the points clouds, which might be easier:

CarthesianToCylindrical.png

Message 3 of 10
(4,102 Views)

Hi,

Thanks for quick and accurate answer.

I tried this method on several datasets, all works fine!

Best regards!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(4,086 Views)

I'm just interested, why would this be easier:

"try converting carthesian coordinates to cylindrical. Then calculate the area under the points clouds, which might be easier:"

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(4,063 Views)

@alexderjuengere wrote:

I'm just interested, why would this be easier:

"try converting carthesian coordinates to cylindrical. Then calculate the area under the points clouds, which might be easier:"

As in IanSh solution - you need to find minimum "edge" of the points cloud and then integrate (sum) area under this edge. I can't exactly find the direct way to calculate this area in original (carthesian) representation, but I can think about a few ways to do it in polar* coordinates.

*I've used conversion from carthesian to polar with Z values = 0. This is the same as converting Re/Im To Polar - I just didn't yet read enough altenbachs posts to immediately think about 2D planes with complex numbers ;D

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(4,027 Views)

PiDi wrote:

... ... ..  I can't exactly find the direct way to calculate this area in original (carthesian) representation, but I can think about a few ways to do it in polar* coordinates

[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoelace_formula] CLICK [/url] 

Message 7 of 10
(4,017 Views)

Neat, I hadn't thought about looking up that part as you had said you have a solution. Of course LabVIEW has a function already for this.

You can use Polygon Area.vi to calculate the area. I just looked inside, it actually uses this same shoelace formula Smiley Happy

In fact, you may find other useful functions in Mathematics>Geometry>Computational Geometry. Never been inside that palette before.

It will be quite important (I expect) to make sure the sensitivity is set correctly, as a single outlying point may throw your answer off a bit.

Ian
LabVIEW since 2012
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(4,010 Views)

@Alain_S wrote:

@PiDi wrote:

... ... ..  I can't exactly find the direct way to calculate this area in original (carthesian) representation, but I can think about a few ways to do it in polar* coordinates

[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoelace_formula] CLICK [/url] 

Ok, wrong wording, I wanted to say that finding the internal points is harder, no the area calculation itself 😉 Thanks for the link though!

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(4,004 Views)

@PiDi wrote:

*I've used conversion from carthesian to polar with Z values = 0. This is the same as converting Re/Im To Polar - I just didn't yet read enough altenbachs posts to immediately think about 2D planes with complex numbers ;D

Indeed, I like that your implementation with "3d coordinate conversion.vi" can be easily extend to a 3d space

compariosn.JPG

Moreover, I personally like about IanSh .vi, that it is very easy to find the edge points of the point cloud

boundings.PNG

Kudos to all of you

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,996 Views)