LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Explaination of LABView support for Fluke 2640A

I have a Fluke 2640A NETDAQ system and want to use it for data logging with LABView. My system is LABView 6.1 with NIDAQ 7.2 on a Windows XP platform. I have already downloaded the Fluke Driver file for LABView and run the VI that is suggested in the "Readme" file accompanying the Driver, but I do not know what the procedure is to get comms between NETDAQ and LABView. Is there a special setup that needs to be done and is this in LABView, NETDAQ or somewhere in Windows?
If anyone has used a system like this before, or has any advice, I would greatly appreciate any help or suggestions!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(6,546 Views)
Phantom,

It doesn't look like we have an instrument driver available for that specific model. A list of all the Fluke instrument drivers can be found at the link below.

http://search.ni.com/query.html?lk=1&col=alldocs&nh=500&rf=3&ql=&pw=595&qp=%2BContentType%3AInstrumentDriver+%2BIDNetManufacturer%3A%22Fluke%22&qt=&layout=IDNet

Instrument drivers are developed with specific instruments in mind. I'm not sure which instrument driver you downloaded but unless it was developed specifically for the 2640A it most likely won't run. Could you let me know which one you downloaded? I suggest you request this driver and our developers will look at the possibility if creating one. A link to this page can be found below.

http://zone.ni.com/idnet97.nsf/instrumentdriv
errequest/

Regards,

Shea C
Applications Engineering
NI
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(6,539 Views)
Shea C,
Thanks for the repsonse to my question, and the suggestion of requesting the specific driver. I was not aware of this service!
The driver that I downloaded was from the Fluke website and is called flntdq32.zip. It was the only driver available for LABView, and since it was under a NETDAQ section, I assumed that it would work for all NETDAQ products! I will attach the driver .zip file, and you can see what it is.
Thanks again for the help!
Regards
Phantom
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(6,539 Views)
Phantom,
I looked through the driver that you attached. Becasue I don't have the instrument that you mentioned I can't run the VI's. They should have provided you with a getting started VI that performs basic functions of your instrument. Becasue NI has not developed this particular driver I cannot provide support on how these VIs were inteded to be used. I will however support any error message that you may be recieving as a result of running these VIs. Your manufacturer however, may have a much better idea of how these VIs were intened to be used and if they will easily be interfaced with NetDAQ.

Shea C
Applications Engineering
NI
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(6,539 Views)
Phantom & Shea,

WOW ~ I just thought about doing the exact same thing the other day, except we have different models of NetDAQ's (2645A).
In fact, I logged in here to look for the drivers, myself and came up on this discussion.  Very interesting;  Great minds think alike!!!  😉

If I get some time anytime soon, I will play with it... if I have any success, will share the results.

However, I do know this for a fact:  The Fluke NetDAQ's communicate using DDE (or packet transfers).  It may be that data will have to come into LabView as ASCII characters(?), which is totally  do-able.  I am not sure how I would go about dogging the Trendlink software.
You will still need the Fluke datalogger channel manager, or if you side skirt that, you may have to deal with raw data from the fluke, and that may get tedious.

Uses for Windows Dynamic Data Exchange

DDE is most appropriate for data exchanges that do not require ongoing user interaction. Usually, an application provides a method for the user to establish the link between the applications exchanging data. Once that link is established, however, the applications exchange data without further user involvement.

DDE can be used to implement a broad range of application features — for example:

• Linking to real-time data, such as to stock market updates, scientific instruments, or process control.
  • Creating compound documents, such as a word processing document that includes a chart produced by a graphics application. Using DDE, the chart will change when the source data is changed, while the rest of the document remains the same.
  • Performing data queries between applications, such as a spreadsheet querying a database for accounts past due.
  • (from the Microsoft MSDN website) 
The NetDAQ's are older tech, but slick little boxes.  All signal conditioning is 'in the box' and with the advent of cheap wireless hubs, these have a whole new value for testing folks (since they use 10baseT eithernet) and adhere to TCI/IP protocols and are configurable, the sky is the limit.

If you find out anythig, let me know!!!  I will do the same.  If NI writes drivers for these, that would be awesome!!!

Regards,

Braindead
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(6,399 Views)
Here is some more information on the Fluke NetDAQ 2640A/2645A drivers that you can download from the Fluke site.

There is information on versions and firmware compatibility.   There is alot of good stuff in this document, specific to LabView.

Braincramp
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(6,375 Views)
Hi
I am a beginner for programming Labview. I have same model(Fluke 2640A) and I want to deal with raw data for calculating a simple equation with them.
but, I can't search the exact solution.
What I want is that DAQ system shows the result calculated by using raw data(signals).
According to Braincamp's veiw, I search the appendix of manual "Fluke 2640A/2645A".
I can solve my problem by using a DDE.
NetDaq provide the function in the Excel, so I can use this function  and  calculate raw date through a DAQ system (2640A).

Thank you

메시지가 01-25-2006 10:32 AM에 jeongsik에 의해 편집되었음

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(6,276 Views)
Wanted to cross-link this thread with the other major thread on this topic of Fluke NetDAQ datalogger gear to LabVIEW with drivers.
(FLUKE 2640A / 2645A / 2680)

click HERE to see the other postings.  All good info.

Braincramp
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(6,028 Views)

can i get the software ?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,921 Views)