LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Executable only runs with debugging enabled...

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

now I found a funny problem with one of my LV2011SP1 executables:

When I create a new executable the executable refuses to run with an "There's an error. You need the development environment to investigate that" message.

Ok, so I turn on debugging in the executable and create a new executable. Now: the executable runs without any problems.

WTF???

With debugging disabled it gives an error, with debugging enabled there's no error???

Ok, having some experience I removed all conditional disable structures in the code (some part of the code is only called with "Runtime Engine==TRUE"). Even that doesn't change that weird behaviour: Program runs fine in development environment and as executable with debugging enabled, but not as executable with debugging disabled...

Does anyone has similar experiences?

And no, I don't mind to post the full project. It's rather large and contains a lot of company internal information...

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,725 Views)

What happens if you disable debugging, but set all of the VIs to have their block diagrams included?

Chris
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Certified TestStand Architect
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,710 Views)

It could be due to a build optimization that gets suppressed when you enable debugging.

A good candidate is something private that unexpectedly gets attempted accessed publically after the build. For instance a poly VI in an LVLIB, where the poly VI is public but its instances are private. The 'Remove unused polymorphic VI instances' option will then make the builder strip the public poly VI and replace that with the private instance VI, thus creating a broken VI in the executable.

If your executable accesses a source distribution (SD) dynamically, and your exe and SD shares a library, and you have the 'Remove unused members of project libraries' option set in the  builder, you could end up with missing library methods at runtime. This is due to the fact that only one instance of the library can be in memory at a time, thus either the exe or the SD loads its version of the library which might be lacking some methods the other party needs at some point.

/Steen

CLA, CTA, CLED & LabVIEW Champion
Message 3 of 8
(4,701 Views)

Have you verified that all of your dynamically called VIs are always included in the build. We just had the same issue and it turned out to be missing dynamically called VIs. The other thing to check is if you use any other external DLL or DotNet. If it is missing anything like that you get this wonderfully descriptive error message.

Mark Yedinak
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,687 Views)

Hi all,

I'm sure, that

- this executable doesn't use dynamically loaded VIs

- I'm not using LVLIB files of my own (maybe there are some in LabVIEW built in functions?)

- I'm not using any DLL or DotNet call of my own in this executable

It's a program to analyze measurement files from our teststands. So it uses my codebase regarding file formatting and channel settings management - the same functions (VIs) I'm using in teststand executables (to be clear about that: no, not TESTSTAND, but LabVIEW executables compiled for our teststands).

I will check the hint on disabling debugging, but including block diagram in the exe when I'm back in office next week...

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,669 Views)

Also check your options for disconnecting typedefs and unused polymorphic VIs.

Mark Yedinak
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
Message 6 of 8
(4,649 Views)

I have had this issue before when I couldn't remove a block diagram.  I believe I had used an Express VI for something and It required me not to remove the block diagram.  I quick converted the express Vi to a normal VI and the problem went away.

When I turned on debugging to see what was going on, all the block diagrams are included, so the problem was fixed.  I was fortunate that I had only made a couple of mods and was able to track down the issue pretty quickly.

Matthew

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,643 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author GerdW

Hi all,

thanks for suggestions.

It helped to check the option "remove type definitions" (additionally to default checks of removing unused polymorphic VIs and LVLib parts). Now the executable runs also without enabling debugging...

Best regards,
GerdW

Message 8 of 8
(4,618 Views)