Error rings are cool, but not cool enough. Within each family, the errors are organized by number. However I have neglected to memorize the error codes (worse yet, I refuse to do so). And I hate hunting through the list for the desired description. So I built this utility that does the searching for me. Use it as follows:
1. Run "Set_Error_Ring.vi" (in "Error_Ring.llb"). Or better yet, put "Error_Ring.llb" in ...\Labview 2012\Projects\, then the next time you run LV, "Set_Error_Ring" will be in the "Tools" menu.
2. Select an error ring on an open BD (single-click with the selection tool).
3. On the FP of "Set_Error_Ring.vi", select the error family.
4. Type in a regular expression to search list of descriptions; the error list will be filtered as you type.
5. Double-click on the desired error in the list. The error ring will be updated.
Note: This code breaks some rules, and may not work in the next version of LV.
Wow this is really neat work, I'm not sure how I missed it all these years. That being said there have been some improvements in LabVIEW since 2012, and so I took some of the code here, and turned it into a right click plugin for LabVIEW 2015 and newer. It is posted here.
After installing that you can right click an Error Ring, and choose search, then type in a string and double click it which will set the error ring to that error.