LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 6 @ GPIB Write

Hello!

I'm currently working on a flash photolysis instrument using labview. Recently I have upgraded the computer and now have error 6 occuring randomly throughout the program. I've tracked the errors down to the GPIBwrite command which happens to be used throughout the program. After doing some reading and asking a few questions, I'm pretty sure its due to race conditions but have been unable to fix the problem (Probably due to me being a novice with Labview). Just wondering if any pros out there could lend some assistance, I've attached a jpeg of the problem area!

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,447 Views)

@Asalerni wrote:

Hello!

I'm currently working on a flash photolysis instrument using labview. Recently I have upgraded the computer and now have error 6 occuring randomly throughout the program. I've tracked the errors down to the GPIBwrite command which happens to be used throughout the program. After doing some reading and asking a few questions, I'm pretty sure its due to race conditions but have been unable to fix the problem (Probably due to me being a novice with Labview). Just wondering if any pros out there could lend some assistance, I've attached a jpeg of the problem area!

Thanks!

No race condition can be seen from the part of the code you are showing. You can try changing to I/O mode (switching between Asynchronous and Synchronous) by right clicking on the GPIB Write function .

Ben64

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,437 Views)
The error continues in both Asynchronous and Synchronous modes, any other reason I might be getting an error out during GPIB write?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,422 Views)
Can you attach the actual error message? The program looks like it was converted from LabVIEW 5 code. What version of NI-488 are you using? What os were you using and which one now?
Message 4 of 9
(3,411 Views)

Thanks for the response,

Was using Labview 2009 on windows 98 to Labview2009(32bit) on windows 7 (64bit). NI-488 is on version 2.71. This program has been modified and updated by several people over the years, it is now currently my project and I would love to see this system running again but I'm being forced to learn labview as I go.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,399 Views)
Definitely update NI-488 to a version supported on your os. Think about using NI-VISA instead of the lower level gpib functions.
Message 6 of 9
(3,388 Views)

Updated my NI-488 driver and I've narrowed down this error a little more, but it is beyond my understanding. If I probe the Write error in, and Write error out the program will run fine for an indefinate amount of time(Pic1) but as soon as I remove the probes I'll be lucky to get 30 repetitions without Error6 coming back into my life(pic2). Really don't know what to make of this...

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,343 Views)
You can get this error when a write is issued before a read is complete. Since you have upgraded the pc, your code is going to execute faster. The probes are probably slowing things down just enough for the read/writes to work done of the time. A quick hack to check this would be to add a delay after the GPIB Read. You could attach your entire program to see where the problem actually is.
Message 8 of 9
(3,319 Views)

I've cleaned up the program and put it into a zip folder. I've put in some delays before and after the read and write vi's, however now the program is getting error 6 at a specific point within the Control-pulse-generator.vi

I've attached the full program if anyone wants to take a look!

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,289 Views)