From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 6 @ GPIB Write

Hello!

I'm currently working on a flash photolysis instrument using labview. Recently I have upgraded the computer and now have error 6 occuring randomly throughout the program. I've tracked the errors down to the GPIBwrite command which happens to be used throughout the program. After doing some reading and asking a few questions, I'm pretty sure its due to race conditions but have been unable to fix the problem (Probably due to me being a novice with Labview). Just wondering if any pros out there could lend some assistance, I've attached a jpeg of the problem area!

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,480 Views)

@Asalerni wrote:

Hello!

I'm currently working on a flash photolysis instrument using labview. Recently I have upgraded the computer and now have error 6 occuring randomly throughout the program. I've tracked the errors down to the GPIBwrite command which happens to be used throughout the program. After doing some reading and asking a few questions, I'm pretty sure its due to race conditions but have been unable to fix the problem (Probably due to me being a novice with Labview). Just wondering if any pros out there could lend some assistance, I've attached a jpeg of the problem area!

Thanks!

No race condition can be seen from the part of the code you are showing. You can try changing to I/O mode (switching between Asynchronous and Synchronous) by right clicking on the GPIB Write function .

Ben64

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,470 Views)
The error continues in both Asynchronous and Synchronous modes, any other reason I might be getting an error out during GPIB write?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,455 Views)
Can you attach the actual error message? The program looks like it was converted from LabVIEW 5 code. What version of NI-488 are you using? What os were you using and which one now?
Message 4 of 9
(3,444 Views)

Thanks for the response,

Was using Labview 2009 on windows 98 to Labview2009(32bit) on windows 7 (64bit). NI-488 is on version 2.71. This program has been modified and updated by several people over the years, it is now currently my project and I would love to see this system running again but I'm being forced to learn labview as I go.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,432 Views)
Definitely update NI-488 to a version supported on your os. Think about using NI-VISA instead of the lower level gpib functions.
Message 6 of 9
(3,421 Views)

Updated my NI-488 driver and I've narrowed down this error a little more, but it is beyond my understanding. If I probe the Write error in, and Write error out the program will run fine for an indefinate amount of time(Pic1) but as soon as I remove the probes I'll be lucky to get 30 repetitions without Error6 coming back into my life(pic2). Really don't know what to make of this...

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,376 Views)
You can get this error when a write is issued before a read is complete. Since you have upgraded the pc, your code is going to execute faster. The probes are probably slowing things down just enough for the read/writes to work done of the time. A quick hack to check this would be to add a delay after the GPIB Read. You could attach your entire program to see where the problem actually is.
Message 8 of 9
(3,352 Views)

I've cleaned up the program and put it into a zip folder. I've put in some delays before and after the read and write vi's, however now the program is getting error 6 at a specific point within the Control-pulse-generator.vi

I've attached the full program if anyone wants to take a look!

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,322 Views)