LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old NI Instrument Simulator

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello all. I have an OLD NI instrument simulator. It is so old, I am not even able to use the NI Intrument Simulator Wizard. I called in for support and the technician was most helpful however, every time I run the wizard it pops-up and alarm that reads "There was an error locating the NI Instrument Simulator. Make sure the hardware is connected to this computer and in configuration mode". I have the 38-page manual that goes to this device. Model number for simulator is #183913C-01. I am able to use NI MAX and use Open VISA Test Panel, and run commands from there. The challenge is, I must type in each and every command, every time I want to use it. I was hoping someone here is familiar with these older model simulators. I posted a question here when I first bought the unit but wasn't familiar with the operation of it. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(3,200 Views)

Also, when it says "Make sure the hardware is in configuration mode", I have no idea what that means. There is nothing in the booklet I have that talks about configuration mode.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(3,198 Views)
I'd say forget the wizard.

MAX, seems to be doing exactly what it's supposed to be doing. You only have a handful of commands available so you can easily create a LabVIEW program that executes each one. What are using it for? The original purpose was as a classroom tool. Do you have students that you want to teach/demonstrate scpi commands? Are you trying to learn SCPI? Are you trying to learn VISA?
Message 3 of 15
(3,179 Views)
There was an old trainer that used a couple of dip switches to configure things. Can you post a picture of the thing you have?

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
Message 4 of 15
(3,153 Views)

I am learning LabVIEW, whilst creating a project at the same time. I am currently learning how to use VISA as I am trying to simulate an actual input, to test my project. I do not currently have a DAQ device, only my laptop. Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(3,094 Views)

Here is what I have sir.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(3,092 Views)
You've posted a twenty year old manual. You've already said that you can use MAX to send/receive data. Seems like you've done everything you can do with it except write a simple LabVIEW program. With so few commands to implement, that would take an experienced programmer only minutes to do. Why don't you try and attach your attempt with details on what does or does not work. You've got the 34401 driver to look at for an example. You should also mention the make and model of the actual instrument you will be using.
Message 7 of 15
(3,083 Views)

I don't actually have an instrument, at this time. My main objective is to learn to use LabVIEW software. My understanding when I purchased this simulator was that it would simulate different inputs, such as sin waves. There are sample projects that allow me to use the device, what I can't figure out is how to produce the sin wave. This sample (template) that I speak of allows me to simulate voltages, so far, coming from the simulator.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(3,076 Views)

Do I have the wrong hardware to accomplish my goal? I am learning to use LabVIEW 2014, I have no prior LabVIEW experience and was hoping that this device would provide a signal in that I could use to prove my program. Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(3,047 Views)
Please attach an image of your code. It's impossible to say what might be wrong without seeing the commands you are using with a VISA Write and the data you get with a VISA Read.
Message 10 of 15
(3,036 Views)