cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EXE breaks after installing 2019 runtime

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi All.

I have two executables built on the same version of LV2017... I'll call them Application A and Application B.  Both work fine and have been distributed throughout our organization for a while.  Some users have been installing runtime 2019 for some other application.  After installing, Application A still works fine, but Application B breaks with "This VI is not executable.  The full development system..." error.  Application B is built mostly from subs of Application A and is much smaller.  It doesn't have anything obvious in it that seems like it would cause a problem. How do I go about troubleshooting why B stops working? 

I reproduced the problem on my own workstation.  Then I installed LV2019 full development system to check things out.  Everything is fine.  

I did a mass compile in 2017 and re-built... same results.  

Uninstalling 2019 runtime solves the problem.  

I'm not sure where to go next.  I can't post any code. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(873 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author J.New

I reported similar  behaviour to NI recently.  Because the rte is now backwards compatible, the 2019 rte tries to run your exe. For some reason it can't.  If you can rebuild the 2017 exe you can select the option to not allow future rte versions to run this application.  If you can't rebuild the exe I do not know how to fix your issue, but this is a problem that NI has introduced so I hope a solution that works for you is forthcoming!

Message 2 of 4
(868 Views)

Oh wow!!  That fixed it.  I never even noticed that check box.  Thanks so much!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(856 Views)

There are two related ideas you can vote for:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Add-ability-to-select-which-version-of-LabVIEW-Runtim...

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Add-ability-to-disable-quot-Allow-future-versions-of-...

In the comments there, you can find links to others who had similar issues and discussions about why its so bad that NI has enabled this setting by default. 

Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(780 Views)