cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy Project - Keep Links

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I want to create a copy of a project that I will be copying more times later. It's a "template" thing. The whole project file is a template. I need to copy the template project only, not the vi's, controls, etc inside the project. I just need the new project to maintain the links to all the contents of the project and keep the virtual folders organized with what is supposed to be there from the original project file.

- I have tried to do a "save as."

- I have tried to copy the project folder

Any ideas on how to maintain the new project file organization?

David

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(1,264 Views)

Project Org.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(1,253 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author david.fox

Hi David,

@david.fox wrote:

I need to copy the template project only, not the vi's, controls, etc inside the project. I just need the new project to maintain the links to all the contents of the project and keep the virtual folders organized with what is supposed to be there from the original project file.

Any ideas on how to maintain the new project file organization?

To answer your question in the literal sense: just create a copy of the lvproj file inside the same folder like the original lvproj file (Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V in an Explorer window)…

That being said: IMHO it doesn't make sense to copy just the lvproj file. Using "Save as" inside LabVIEW sounds more logical to me…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(1,184 Views)

GerdW,

Thank you for the reply. I suspected there wasn't a very good solution to this. But, I do think your same folder save as method will probably get me to the closest point desired than anything I have come up with. LabVIEW needs a better "copy project to new location" solution. My layout is the following where the bold items are the only project items replaced. The rest stays the same for each test development program.

LabVIEW

- Testing Main

- VI's

- TypeDefs

- Globals

- Testing Procedure

- VIs

- TypeDefs

- Instruments

- VIs

- TypeDefs

- Classes

- Etc....

David

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(1,155 Views)

Actually, your solution worked perfect with only a couple conflicts to resolve. Much nicer than what I was trying before. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(1,141 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author david.fox

Hi David,

@david.fox wrote:

My layout is the following where the bold items are the only project items replaced. The rest stays the same for each test development program.

When most of the project stays the same then I would split that into two parts:

1. one project with the fixed content in one fixed folder
  2. one project for your templates in a different folder

Now you just need to copy the template project and should never need to relink again…

Most of my testbench software stays the same for each testbench (logging, config, most hardware drivers…): all that stuff is placed in my version of the user.lib. The projects for each testbench only contain stuff, which is unique for each testbench…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(1,121 Views)