LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deploying ALIASES file to RT target?

I'm working on a program with an RT part and a HOST part.  (LV 8.2, Windows, PXI 8196).

I need for the host to be able to update the program on the RT target occasionally (programmatically, not thru LV or MAX).

I have this working by stopping the RT program, FTPing the new file over, and re-booting.

It works now, but I'm not really making any changes to the program, just sending the same one over.

My question is: Do I need to maintain the ALIASES file for the RT program?

Should I send that over the fence, too?

Should I delete the aliases file that's there, and let it regenerate?

Or just not worry about it?

I have NO shared variables, and communication is via TCP in my own protocols.

<a href="http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/372507A-01/lvtpchowto/tpc_sharedvar_alias/">This article</a> talks about ALIASES files, but only in a shared-variables context.

Steve Bird
Culverson Software - Elegant software that is a pleasure to use.
Culverson.com

Blog for (mostly LabVIEW) programmers: Tips And Tricks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,001 Views)

Hey Coastal,

While I don't see a need for you to update the aliases file if you're simply deploying some embedded application to run independent of any host computer, it's usually a good idea to update the aliases file with your project. There may be something I'm overlooking where you'll need it to reference the right host computer. Essentially, if you want to proceed without the aliases file, you'll probably want to try it out and then see if it works.

By the way, have you opened up that file before and seen what's in there? It keeps IP addresses for built-in host-target communication.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,

Dan Richards
Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,967 Views)

I amd NOT running "independent of any host computer", it will run in conjunction with a host.  But the communication is via our own TCP protocol, not shared variables or datasockets or anything.

I didn't realize it was a plain-text file until after I posted the question.

In my case the aliases file has three entries:

[ My Computer]

My Computer = "192.168.0.11"

[Cell 10]

Cell 10 = "192.168.1.199"

[Cell 123]

Cell 123 = "192.168.0.199"

The "My computer" entry is worthless, I think. It won't be the same on my client's system. The RT program doesn't need to know where the host is, it talks to whoever calls it.

The "Cell 10" entry is worthless, that's the IP number of an alternate target (my client's on 192.168.1.x, I'm on 192.168.0.x, so I have two targets, one for me, one for him).

The "Cell 123" entry is worthless, unless the RT system itself needs it, and I don't think so.  Why would it need its own IP number in a text file?

So, the file is completely pointless, as far as I can tell.

Thanks for your reply. 

Steve Bird
Culverson.com

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,966 Views)

CoastalMaineBird wrote:

So, the file is completely pointless, as far as I can tell.

Thanks for your reply. 

I tend to agree. It probably saves some time to read that info from the file than go out on a network and start searching.

At one point I reported a bug with the "Source Distribution" not trasfering either the .proj or alias file and it was deemed low priority so... even NI does not much care about that file.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 4 of 6
(2,960 Views)

It probably saves some time to read that info from the file than go out on a network and start searching.

But what does the searching, and why?

If the file is intended to be with the RT program, then the host can't find the file unless it already knows where the PXI box is, in which case it doesn't need it.

If it's supposed to tell the RT program where the host is, well, that's unnecessary in my case.  The host initiates connection, via a fixed IP number. 

And it doesn't make sense that the RT program would need a text file to know it's own IP number. 

Steve Bird
Culverson.com

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,956 Views)

Hi Coastal,

You are correct - you probably don't need it. The .aliases file is used when you use automatic functionality of LabVIEW, like Shared Variables that automatically set up PSP communication between host and target or automatic debugging which sets up front panel and block diagram communication with the development machine. There are probably some other uses that aren't coming to mind.

Thanks,

Dan Richards
Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,940 Views)