LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crash when using Invoke Method: Library:Deploy Library

I'm trying to set a library of shared variables to deploy when a VI runs. When using the method to deploy a library, Labview will crash with no error log. I am able to use Library.Open to, for example, HiliteInProjectWindow, and Library.GetFileLVVsersion (8.6). But for the life of me I cannot get deploy to work. Any ideas?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,321 Views)
Apparently this works fine when it's put into a stand alone app and then used. Just can't use it during development without a crash.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,310 Views)

Howdy hbcnb,

The error that you are describing can be caused because the NI Configuration Manager is not running.  To fix this, please make sure that the service is started in Windows.  You can reference the document NI Device Loader (nidevldu) and NI Configuration Manager Services Not Starting for information on how to accomplish this.  

If this does not solve your issue, please post back with more details, including the language that you are programming in.  Thanks, and have a great day!

Sincerely,

Chris G in AE
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,281 Views)

Chris:

Both services are currently running and behavior is the same. I am programming with Labview 8.6. I've attached what is causing me to crash. Like I said before, I was able to use this after I packaged it all into an installer, then installed on the development computer, then also tried it on another computer. The standalone app worked perfectly, the library was deployed, etc. But when I try to use it straight from the VI while developing in labview, it crashes. So not a serious issue, I can just add the deploy variables stuff when building the app, then remove it and autodeploy variables during development. But if there's a fix to this it would certainly be interesting to know.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,267 Views)

hbcnb,

I'm not quite sure why that is happening, but I can give you a work around for it.  There is a property node that returns the mode that LabVIEW is running in (Run-Time, Development, Evaluation).  If you output this value to a case structure, you can include your deploy code in the run-time version but not in your development version so that it will cease to crash.  Place down the property node, then select  Application » Kind.  I've included a picture of how to wire this up. Let me know if this helps work around the problem a bit easier.  

Sincerely,

Chris G in AE
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,241 Views)

Hi,

I'm having the same problem after migrating from LabView 8.5 to 8.6. The exact same code is used under both platforms. It performs well under 8.5, under 8.6 using Deploy Library (both Invoke Method and DSC VI) causes LabView to crash. Curiously, using Undeploy Library does not seem to cause this kind of behavior. Has anyone encountered this and found a suitable solution? It is vital that we are able to deploy a library programatically in development mode, so the above solution will not work for us. Thanks,

Jon

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,166 Views)

Hi Jon,

Would it possible to p[ost your project so that I can run it and see if I can reproduce the behavior?

Ipshita C.

National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,145 Views)

Ipshita,

I have attached the project I have been using to diagnose this problem. I have found that LabView only crashes when trying to programmatically deploy a library file containing virtual folders. In this project I have two library files with the same shared variable. One has the variable located in a virtual folder, one does not. I have tried using both the DSC vi and the Invoke node with the same results. While getting rid of virtual folders is a workaround for now, it is a hassle as we were using them to organize dozens of shared variables into one library.

Jon

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,129 Views)

Hi Jon,

I have reproduced the situation you have described and am investigating further into it. In the meantime, I would advise using the workaround of not creating virtual folders although I know it is inconvenient in terms of organization. Thanks for this feedback!

Ipshita C.

National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,098 Views)

This sounded familiar.  I did a search and found these two threads discussing virtual folders and shared variables.

Best practices for hierarchy within project?

Virtual folder inside shared variable library + multiple variable editor won't work together   

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,090 Views)