LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Datasocket for OPC comms with 64 bit LabView. Alternatives?

I have recently upgraded to 2020LV 64-bit  from 2017 32-bit only to discover that datasocket no longer supports OPC comms. To get round this I have implemented a 32-bit helper VI that communicates with the PLC as before, and transfers the PLC data to the 64-bit application via TCP/IP. It works but is a little bit messy. Is there an alternative where I can keep everything within my 64-bit application? 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,190 Views)

Hi Simon, 

Did you manage to find a solution for this, or are you still using the workaround?

Thanks,

Alasdair

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,027 Views)

Hi Alasdair,

In the end I wrote a 32 bit server VI to communicate with the PLC. I am using TCP to send PLC data from this VI to my 64 bit application. It’s not ideal but it does work. Ultimately, I may use the UA protocol and write my own OPC server. But that’s for another day1

Thanks

Simon

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,020 Views)

I haven't found a solution that I'm happy with. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(1,582 Views)

@SimonAldred wrote:

I haven't found a solution that I'm happy with. 

Did you need the extra memory address space provided by a 64-bit environment?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(1,569 Views)

Yes, it's a pretty intensive image processing application. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(1,562 Views)

An alternative, which seems more attractive and easier than the TCP/IP route, is to use shared variables to communicate between the 64 and 32 bit programs. I deploy shared variables in my 64 bit application and then access them with the 32 bit application. You do all the PLC comms in the 32 bit application. After I have read from the PLC I update the shared variables and the changes are picked up by the 64 bit application. I can also write from the 64 bit application to the PLC via the 32 bit application. 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(1,553 Views)