From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating password for gvi (LabVIEW NXG)

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi guys,

I'm learning LabVIEW NXG at the Moment.

How can I protect LabVIEW NXG file (*gvi) with a password?.

Thanks,

Muaadh

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 19
(2,509 Views)

It's a sad news for us that it seems LabVIEW NXG doesn't provide password protection feature.

PasswordProtectionNotSupported

If neither solution meets the requirements of your application, do not migrate to LabVIEW NXG at this time.

Certified LabVIEW Developer
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 19
(2,460 Views)

It's really a sad news. Can the block diagram be deactivated ?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 19
(2,441 Views)

@Muaadh7 wrote:

It's really a sad news. Can the block diagram be deactivated ?

Note that CG doesn't have a real diagram protection either. The password doesn't encrypt the diagram. (If it was encrypted, LabVIEW would need the password to import older versions, or when converting 32 <-> 64 bit, or Linux (incl RT) <-> Windows). The password is checked, and LabVIEW won't open the diagram if there is no match. So, your IP is not really protected. And this is really the only possibility in CG, because the diagram is needed for the conversion.

In NXG, I think you are advised to make a package (a gll, IIRC). If I understand correctly, this package will not include source code, but isn't exactly compiled code. So LabVIEW should be capable of opening and using the package in newer NXG versions and for LV RT, but there is no source.

Note that I'm not even sure if this is possible in NXG 4.0. This information is what I got from going to CLA summits, NIWeeks and NIDays.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 19
(2,436 Views)

I think it's  possible to deactivate the diagram...But I don't know  how?

Look at the pic. ==>

Anmerkung 2020-02-11 102523.png

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 19
(2,428 Views)

Check the origin of the gvi.

Is it by any chance in a gll?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 19
(2,415 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

In NXG, I think you are advised to make a package (a gll, IIRC). If I understand correctly, this package will not include source code, but isn't exactly compiled code. So LabVIEW should be capable of opening and using the package in newer NXG versions and for LV RT, but there is no source.

I think the proper term here is a "Component".  Packages are a distribution vehicle.  The GLL is basically a replacement for a PPL (Packed Project Library).  I have not played with NXG nearly enough to give any real commentary beyond that.

GCentral
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 19
(2,404 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

I think the proper term here is a "Component".  Packages are a distribution vehicle.  The GLL is basically a replacement for a PPL (Packed Project Library).  

That might very well be. But aren't PPLs locked for editing? So wouldn't that be a substitute for password protection? Or maybe actually a better choice.

I guess if OP follows that locked gvi, he'll find out.

@crossrulz wrote:

I have not played with NXG nearly enough to give any real commentary beyond that.

Me neither. But so few of us have, and I feel even CG knowledge helps a little bit. If only to get things moving.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 19
(2,398 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

@crossrulz wrote:

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

I think the proper term here is a "Component".  Packages are a distribution vehicle.  The GLL is basically a replacement for a PPL (Packed Project Library).  

That might very well be. But aren't PPLs locked for editing? So wouldn't that be a substitute for password protection? Or maybe actually a better choice.

I wasn't arguing that GLLs are not the way to go.  In fact, I think they are what the OP wants.  I just wanted to make sure we were using the right terminology.

PPLs (and I assume GLLs) are fully compiled and contain no source.  So, yes, editing is locked.  But you can enable debugging, which will allow the block diagrams to be shown.

GCentral
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 19
(2,390 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

But you can enable debugging, which will allow the block diagrams to be shown.

Didn't know that. So I guess the diagram is still available, and could potentially be copied? I mean with heavy scripting or hacking?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 19
(2,386 Views)