LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Nugget: Clear up your front panel a bit

Ben wrote:

1) We re-write the Style guide

2) NI change the Help screen to read the actual default (I have been bitten by assuming the default value in the label, yes even NI VIs [Old Config File Close "write to disk" did not mathc the help file], that did not match what the actual default was).

Well I finally came up with $$$ reason for NI to go with the above idea.

Once the change (Help screen shows actual default value), NI will NEVER have to CAR, FIX TEST, DEPLOY another bug associated with the default value show does not match the actual.

That one benefit alone may justify the change.

This now sounds like a win win win situation if you ask me.

Now stepping back again.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 31 of 46
(3,339 Views)

Ben wrote:

I am an Idea Exchange virgin*.

[...]

* Not allowed to post ideas as per mangement.

No aliases? Smiley Tongue I thought you were "Altenbach" or "Jack Dunaway".

Richard

Message 32 of 46
(3,325 Views)

We've discussed this thread internally, really like the idea of auto-populating default text, the need to support manual entry (i.e. override), the need to support localization (a huge thing internally for us), and last, but not least, update the style guide. Our LabVIEW localization lead has agreed to research this, but the process should really be to post in the idea exchange, have discussion there, and allow folks to vote. There's also the aspect of recognition. I know proponents of ideas don't do it for the recognition, they do it to make things better, but recognition is a good thing, for those receiving and those giving. We (NI) have a vested interest in recognizing the contributions of our users to making our products better.

So someone please post this idea in the idea exchange (and link to it here when done) so we can continue to flush it out and make real progress. There are some NI folks waiting to kudo the idea. 🙂

Thanks,

Roy Faltesek

Senior Group Manager

LabVIEW R&D, Sustaining

Message 33 of 46
(3,322 Views)

Broken Arrow wrote:

Ben wrote:

I am an Idea Exchange virgin*.

[...]

* Not allowed to post ideas as per mangement.

No aliases? Smiley Tongue I thought you were "Altenbach" or "Jack Dunaway".

If I had an alias, my Kudos count would be much higher. Smiley Surprised

Since Yair started this thread, the idea really grew from the seed he planted.

Regardless of who puts in in the Idea Exchange, please add alink in this thread so I can Kuod the idea.

Thanks to all for playing along.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 34 of 46
(3,302 Views)

Roy F wrote:

So someone please post this idea in the idea exchange (and link to it here when done) so we can continue to flush it out and make real progress. There are some NI folks waiting to kudo the idea. 🙂

Since tst originated this discussion I think he should be the one to create the idea and receive the Kudos.

Message 35 of 46
(3,294 Views)

smercurio_fc wrote:

Since tst originated this discussion I think he should be the one to create the idea and receive the Kudos.

I second that.

Richard

0 Kudos
Message 36 of 46
(3,281 Views)

Idea'd HERE

With all due respect for the community's efforts!I'll be happy to share the kudo's (Laura F  Can kudos be shared?)

Message Edited by Jeff Bohrer on 06-11-2010 01:16 PM

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 37 of 46
(3,272 Views)

Jeff Bohrer wrote:

Idea'd HERE

With all due respect for the community's efforts!

Well, so much for my suggestion.

0 Kudos
Message 38 of 46
(3,268 Views)
A bit late-  While I agree- the idea is a group effort. I kinda jumped on the style issue and it fleshed out from there so I won't feel too gready

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 39 of 46
(3,265 Views)
I disagree. I think tst should get the credit for this idea. But that's just me, I guess.
Message 40 of 46
(3,259 Views)