LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Nugget: Clear up your front panel a bit

TCPlomp wrote:

Broken Arrow wrote:

Speaking of labels, I have never liked the fact that Sub-VI terminals take on the Caption name and not the Label name, if a caption exists. I think it should be the label and that's that.

Broken Arrow could yu explain that a little bit?

Are you in favor of the caption or the label?

The Label.
Richard

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 46
(3,314 Views)

While we are at it- fix the name to

"Error In"  with leading capitalization per style guide. 

Now my take on "Variable Name (default)"  I quite agree with Ben on this one.  STOP using the (default) and automatically place this property in the tip-strip without an override- it must show if tip strips are showing!

My justification being specifically that quite often the default value changes and the lables are not updated (It would require instances in callers not in memory to need to recompile) very undesirable- oh and break any callers that use the lable property (such as every vi referance, property etc...) So we have mis-documented the code and promoted obsolete lablesSmiley Sad   This is not my idea of "Well-documented, Maintainable code."  In fact  I'd have to say that after consideration- Variable(default) is poor programming practice from a technical point of view Smiley Surprised

Thanks for getting me to think about it- Generally I don't challenge the style guide- but this point should be carefully re-evaluated!

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 12 of 46
(3,311 Views)

Excellence will never be standardized, only mediocrity.  Cast off the shackles of the style guide, strive for excellent code and eventually today's excellence will be tomorrow's standard.  Where did this mythical style guide come from (I have never seen it myself)?  I'll assume it codifies what was assumed to be best practice at the time, this is subject to change but it takes someone to lead the charge.

Message 13 of 46
(3,301 Views)

Darin.K wrote:

Where did this mythical style guide come from (I have never seen it myself)? 

It was originally a separate document, but has since been incorporated into the LabVIEW Help.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 46
(3,289 Views)

Darin.K wrote:

Excellence will never be standardized, only mediocrity.  Cast off the shackles of the style guide, strive for excellent code and eventually today's excellence will be tomorrow's standard.  ...

Darin,

You just made teh LV Proverbs list (again). That would make a very nice signature (nudge nudge, wink, wink, say no more, say no more). Smiley Happy

I'll see what I can do about leading from the back seat.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 15 of 46
(3,286 Views)

smercurio_fc wrote:

Darin.K wrote:

Where did this mythical style guide come from (I have never seen it myself)? 

It was originally a separate document, but has since been incorporated into the LabVIEW Help.

What is this mythical LabVIEW help? Smiley Tongue

Message 16 of 46
(3,277 Views)

I know the default value is no error. It's obvious. I don't need it in my face with every single error cluster.

No_Error.png

Hmmm.... I think, it also well known that this cluster is error cluster, boolean is status, numeric is code and string is source, so you can simply remove all texts from this cluster without lost any functionality, isn't? 🙂 
Andrey.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 46
(3,254 Views)

Style Guide

Not a myth- check pg 6-20 

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 46
(3,250 Views)

Still no reasons why to keep that rule?

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 46
(3,197 Views)

What is this mythical LabVIEW help? Smiley Tongue

It's the place you go AFTER you ask your question on the forums, only to realize, your answer was there already! 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 46
(3,189 Views)