LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JÞB

Show (Default) value in Caption

As discussed in this thread

With all deferance to FDGray, TST, Smercio_fc, Roy, Broken arrow, Ben and anyone I missed.!

1) We re-write the Style guide to remove refeances to control naming convention "Lable (Default)" and change to just "Lable":  From here it appears a better technique to use "Caption (Default)" as the caption is a more appropriate location for this information and can be programmatically changed (unlike lables).  Code documentation is improved.

2) NI change the Help screen to read the actual default value of controls and display them in parentheses to automate documenting controls to the new Caption(Default) standard.

2) Add an enviormental variable " Automatically display control default values in captions"  with a default value of true to allow consistancy with pre-developed code.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
9 Comments
RavensFan
Knight of NI

Jeff,

"Label" is not spelled like "table" Smiley Wink

JÞB
Knight of NI

"Label" is not spelled like "table"

DOH++

Roy_F
NI Employee (retired)

I prefer there not be an option to globally disable the auto-display of default; showing the default for optional or recommended inputs when programming has real value and the developer should not be able to ignore this, even if they (think) they want to (that'll ruffle some feathers).

We can inhibit appending the default for required inputs - serves no value there.

We could inhibit this for labels or captions that already have something within parentesis, assuming the developer has already provided his own default indication (existing code would not need to be touched).

Message Edited by Roy F on 06-11-2010 03:24 PM
Roy_F
NI Employee (retired)
Just to be clear, I'm proposing that the default value be auto-appended in Context Help and tool tip for either the label or caption. We use the caption, if it exists, the label if not.
JÞB
Knight of NI

Roy said "I prefer there not be an option to globally disable the auto-display of default;"

I could live with this type of implementation- It requires a new boolean property that just Might be necessary anyhow! 

000.PNG

tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI
Somewhat duplicate. See here - http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Show-the-default-value-of-controls-in-subVIs-which-are...

Laura, Please mark this as a dup post.  Credit to TST

Darren
Proven Zealot
GregSands
Active Participant

8½ years from

Please mark this as a dup post.

to

Status changed to: Duplicate

Smiley Embarassed