Did you mean: 

Community Nugget 5-Mar-2007

I saw that... 🙂  LOL!! 

We'll converse off-line 😉

0 Kudos
Message 41 of 46
(4,290 Views)
my 50-cent 🙂

Sometimes one have a loop inside a Sub VI,and need to control things inside this loop from main VI.

For example, I have a cluster of controls at the main vi.
So some ways to solve the issue:
  1) Pass a reference to the cluster to the sub vi.
          Consequence: every time one change the cluster,one should change an input of the Sub VI.
   2)Use VI server - I did't try this way,because somehow searched for simpler solution.
   3)Create a reference to the cluster, make IT type definition,save as control,and use this control as
       input of Sub VI
          Consequence: Now, every time one changes the cluster,he only need to update the type definition
        of the reference.

Any suggestions about  3-rd way?

P.S
Probably cluster may be defined with type definition too.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
LV 8.2 at Windows & Linux

0 Kudos
Message 42 of 46
(4,034 Views)

Hi,

I have made a strict type def, which is a text ring. I open the VI reference -> get Panel property node -> Controls[] -> Index first element (there is only one, the ring) -> change Strings and values, and then close reference.

If I call this subvi from a VI, which includes this strict type ring, it will be only updated, when I restart the VI. And not in runtime. I don´t get any error, everything looks fine, but the strings and values are not updated 😞

Is there a way not to restart the VI, but to modify the ring programatically?

regards

MB

0 Kudos
Message 43 of 46
(3,884 Views)
I opened a new thread for the question of mitulatbati:

Please do not hijack a thread.

Message Edited by shb on 07-29-2008 12:00 PM
0 Kudos
Message 44 of 46
(3,874 Views)

This posting is intended to update this Nugget to highlight the new functionality available in LV 2009 that lets us group libraries in the VI Hierarchy screen.

The following tow images show...

The Hierarchy of a small app without grouping of libraries. AS you can see the DAQ functions (DAQ in header) are scattered on the screen.

Default.PNG 

By grouping the VIs by library and colapsing the other libraries,

Grouped.PNG

we can see how the DAQ functions are structured to the point where we can almost make an educated guess that maybe "AI Control" is an Action Engine used by "AI Stop", "AI Read" and "AI init" .... maybe Smiley Wink

Have fun,

Ben

Message Edited by Ben on 11-24-2009 08:06 AM
Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 45 of 46
(3,085 Views)

For those of you that have read through this entire thread Kudos to you!

If you are using LV 2010 or better then you will find your reward for your reading in this thread where Darren tells us how we can use the new option that lets us view clustrers as an icon to avoid teh "Diagram Explosion" issue when editing a type definition.

Enjoy!

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 46 of 46
(2,520 Views)