From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Variant type name programatically

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I use Variants to communicate between Queue State Machines similar to the Queued Message Handler Template. These Variants have type names which I use to distinguish between different values. I don't know how I can change them programmatically. At the moment I use String constants with static labels. The problem arises if I get the String from a VI, then I can't change the name.

grafik.png

Steffen_Zienert_0-1634053571773.png

Here a more elaborate example which is more similar to what I am doing.

Steffen_Zienert_3-1634055137717.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(1,607 Views)

Type cast into the same type but label the constant you feed into the type terminal (also a quick and dirty trick for named probes which is how I found out about it):

Spoiler
FireFistRedhawk_0-1634059495937.png

Redhawk
Test Engineer at Moog Inc.

Saying "Thanks that fixed it" or "Thanks that answers my question" and not giving a Kudo or Marked Solution, is like telling your waiter they did a great job and not leaving a tip. Please, tip your waiters.

Message 2 of 5
(1,596 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Steffen_Zienert

Using Coerce to Type is safer, as you know it's not going to reinterpret the memory.

Message 3 of 5
(1,561 Views)

@pauldavey wrote:

Using Coerce to Type is safer, as you know it's not going to reinterpret the memory.

One day I'll get to move on from 2017 😭

Redhawk
Test Engineer at Moog Inc.

Saying "Thanks that fixed it" or "Thanks that answers my question" and not giving a Kudo or Marked Solution, is like telling your waiter they did a great job and not leaving a tip. Please, tip your waiters.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(1,530 Views)

@FireFist-Redhawk wrote:

@pauldavey wrote:

One day I'll get to move on from 2017 😭

"Coerce to Type" is available in 2017 (and earlier). It's just not visible in the palette: https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Officially-Support-quot-Coerce-to-Type-quot/idi-p/121...

Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,490 Views)