From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can i build Applications for android using Labview

Hi Everyone,

I want to build simple apps on Android operating system usng labview can i do it? I have seen data dash board but i want to program for other than measurements.

Thanks,

Vishwas   

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(7,586 Views)

No you can't. Data Dashboard is the closest thing you can get so far!

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(7,571 Views)

Hi rolfk,

Thanks For your reply and i want to know if NI is planning on somethig like this in future.

Thanks,

Vishwas

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(7,514 Views)

@Vshu wrote:

Thanks For your reply and i want to know if NI is planning on somethig like this in future.

There is a related idea in the ideas exchange, you can vote for it. There is no announcement by NI that someting like this is even planned.

The mentioned data dashboard will apparently receive significant enhancements in spring 2014 (v 2.2, details here)

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(7,509 Views)

NI actually showed an early protootype of a LabVIEW like application for iOS devices two or three years ago at NI week. They were experimenting about how to do editing operations on touch screen devices, as the current paradigma in LabVIEW is very mouse oriented and completely unsuitable for a touch screen operation. It looked nice but didn't do much more than have a few arithmetic nodes and simple front panel objects. NI never said they were planning to release a product like that and mentioned repeatedly that there were still a lot of problems to tackle in areas like user interaction and hardware constraints of the target platform before this was a feasable product. After all NI is maybe best known for LabVIEW nowadays but their business is still largely driven by hardware sales and most iOS devices have very few possibilities to extend them with measurement hardware and Apples restrictive policies about third party add-on manufacturers doesn't help that in any way.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(7,420 Views)

Well, the original post was about Android, not iOS. No restrictions regarding 3rd party software there.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(7,394 Views)

Considering the current state of affairs between iOS and Android it is a safe bet that IF NI decides to release a software like LabVIEW for iOS there will be a similar version for Android. Anything else makes little sense nowadays, since Android clearly has a dominant market share in more than 3 quarter of the countries around the world. However as I have pointed out, there are many hurdles to take for NI to release a tablet/smart phone version of LabVIEW, some technical and others marketing wise.

Personally I would love to have the possibility to just add an Android target to any LabVIEW project and generate directly a GUI for my control application hosted on a cRIO. However commercially that ability while being nice wouldn't make a big difference for me at this point.

Also the hardware extensibility still is limited even for Android devices. Most Android devices still would be limited to UI applications only as there is no easy way to plugin a PCI board. 🙂 Even integrated connectivity to cRIO is not likely going to happen since the NI-RIO interface layer is quite a beast and very unlikely to be ported to other platforms than what is currently available.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(7,367 Views)

A bit late to the party, but I figured out a way to do it using Cordova and WebVIs.

Have a look at my manual:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/Example-Code/Native-Android-and-IOS-applications-with-LabVIEW-web-modules/t...

I also have a small presentation on YouTube that describes the thought process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvEAUReBjeM&t=2553s&ab_channel=VITechnologies

Hope it helps!

Br,

Natan Biesmans

#Edit: Also works in G web development software.

Message 8 of 8
(3,196 Views)