LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying same window appearance to all VIs

Hi!

As I am finishing up a project, I'd like to apply password protection and window appearance to all my "User interactive" - VIs, so they all look the same (no running nor abort button, resizing, scroll bars etc.).

Problem is I have quite a few of these and applying these parameters can be annoying...

Is there a way labview allows you to do it for all VIs at once?

Should I use scripting (never done any before)

Thanks for your tips.

Vinny.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(1,367 Views)

Hi Vinny,

@VinnyAstro wrote:

I'd like to apply password protection and window appearance to all my "User interactive" - VIs, so they all look the same (no running nor abort button, resizing, scroll bars etc.).

Problem is I have quite a few of these and applying these parameters can be annoying...

Is there a way labview allows you to do it for all VIs at once?

When you want to automate the LabVIEW IDE then you should use scripting…

On "password protection": the current password system of LabVIEW is rather unsafe. When you don't want to show code to your users then you should create executables for them!

You may also strip the block diagram from a VI, but be sure to keep an "original" backup! (As you already should by using a SCC system of your choice.)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(1,362 Views)

@VinnyAstro wrote:

I think this is all VI Server, not scripting.

Not that it makes much difference, 'scripting' is basically VI Server with advanced options...

Keep in mind that

1) with scripting on, VI Server can be overwhelming, and

2) with scripting off, you might not be able to do things you want to do, and

3) even with scripting on, you might not be able to do some things...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(1,349 Views)

@GerdW wrote:

Understood. I need to take some time to learn scripting 🙂

@GerdW wrote:

On "password protection": the current password system of LabVIEW is rather unsafe. When you don't want to show code to your users then you should create executables for them!

You may also strip the block diagram from a VI, but be sure to keep an "original" backup! (As you already should by using a SCC system of your choice.)

Sorry but I'm a bit lost in translation here:

- What do you mean by striping the block diagram?

- For the backup no problem, I'm using TSVN and whenever I'm editing a "customer version" that is intended to be sent either as an exe, lib, or even sometimes VIs, I'm first comitting a tag, if necessary applying all protections and comitting again, and then coming back to the trunk, if that makes sense... That's the easiest way I found for now anyway.

- As for the password protection, how unsafe is it? Depending on the requirements I always prefer to send an .exe, but sometimes I have to send a Library for instance. I mean I am never doing big distributions anyway, it is always for one customer and eventually some modifications for a second or third one... And the password protection is rather for safety and warranty on our side (making sure they don't mess up with the code and the system isn't safe anymore) than anything else.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(1,341 Views)

What does VI server do exactly?

I actually couldn't find much info on first researches... All I know for jnow is that it seems to allow me doing remote debugging and control, using shared variables etc.

What else?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(1,339 Views)

Hi Vinny,

@VinnyAstro wrote:

- What do you mean by striping the block diagram?

See this.

@VinnyAstro wrote:

- As for the password protection, how unsafe is it?

There are tools available online that allow simple&easy disabling of password protection of LabVIEW VIs…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 6 of 16
(1,336 Views)

@VinnyAstro wrote:

What does VI server do exactly?

I actually couldn't find much info on first researches...

First two hits on google:

What Is the VI Server? 

VI_Server 

Anytime you get a reference to a VI (static, by Open VI Reference or by any other means), and use a method or property, that's VI Server. 

@VinnyAstro wrote:

All I know for jnow is that it seems to allow me doing remote debugging and control, using shared variables etc.

What else?

No, that's not it...

Remote debugging could maybe be considered a subset of VI Server, but I'd not automatically call it VI Server.

Using Shared Variables is simply something else.

Message 7 of 16
(1,299 Views)

@VinnyAstro wrote:

As for the password protection, how unsafe is it? 

It's as safe as a lock on your front door. It tells people it's not allowed to enter. It doesn't stop burglars (very long). 

@VinnyAstro wrote:

Depending on the requirements I always prefer to send an .exe, but sometimes I have to send a Library for instance. I mean I am never doing big distributions anyway, it is always for one customer and eventually some modifications for a second or third one... And the password protection is rather for safety and warranty on our side (making sure they don't mess up with the code and the system isn't safe anymore) than anything else.

Either accept that passwords are just useful for protecting customers against their own mistakes, or send an exe or packed libraries.

Packed libraries are compiled, so you can have usable VIs, without distributing source code. It's a huge topic on it's own.

Message 8 of 16
(1,293 Views)

@VinnyAstro wrote:

@GerdW wrote:

Understood. I need to take some time to learn scripting 🙂

I'd recommend you learn VI Server first... Scripting gets complex fast.

Message 9 of 16
(1,289 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

Packed libraries are compiled, so you can have usable VIs, without distributing source code. It's a huge topic on it's own.

Yes, about that, I had other issues that I noticed here ...

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(1,285 Views)