From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An error occurred while running LVCompare.

Hi, I am struggling with the following error of  LVCompare, does anyone have any thoughts about this?

As far as I understand LVcompare can't create INI file?

I am running LabView 2015 professional under Win10, with win7 everything worked fine but since I migrated to 10 I never seen LVcompare working. Thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

An error occurred while running LVCompare.

NI_LVConfig.lvlib:Load.vi<ERR>
C:\Temp\LVCompare.ini

<b>Complete call chain:</b>
NI_LVConfig.lvlib:Load.vi
NI_LVConfig.lvlib:Open Config Data (compatibility).vi
LVCompare.vi

Message 1 of 13
(2,741 Views)

it has been confirmed by NI support that LVCompare does not work for LabVIEW Full development system LV2019 32bit and 64bit. The error you mention is one of the errors seen.

LabVIEW Professional Development system works as expected. You can change version inside NI License Manager - provided you have a license of course.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(2,479 Views)

The original poster said he was using professional and so am I.  I get the same error.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(2,442 Views)

I get that error from an MSYS2 terminal "git diff" of a VI with LabVIEW Professional Development System Version 2023 Q3 (32-bit) 23.3.1f1. C:\Users\<user.name>\AppData\Local\Temp\LVCompare.ini does not exist (I have permissions and can create the file manually). The complete call chain is slightly different:

NI_LVConfig.lvlib:Load.vi
NI_LVConfig.lvlib:Open Config Data.vi
LVCompare.vi

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(591 Views)

@d.w.b wrote:

I get that error from an MSYS2 terminal "git diff" of a VI with LabVIEW Professional Development System Version 2023 Q3 (32-bit) 23.3.1f1. C:\Users\<user.name>\AppData\Local\Temp\LVCompare.ini does not exist (I have permissions and can create the file manually).

After closing LabVIEW, "git diff" worked. Interestingly, "dir /s /b C:\LVCompare.ini" says "File Not Found" right after the comparison is displayed.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(576 Views)

Do you have your NI installation in a non-default directory?

LVCompare and LVMerge have some paths hardcoded into their code apparently, I've had problems trying to get them to run when I install the tools in directories different to the default ones on "C:\Prog...."

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(560 Views)

I use default installation folders:

C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2023\LabVIEW.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\Shared\LabVIEW Compare\LVCompare.exe

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(552 Views)

OK, worth a try, I've had issues with non-default paths and LVCompare and LVMerge just refusing to work unless put back in the default folder.

Are all your other folders also set to default?

Intaris_0-1704809966612.png

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(548 Views)

Yes; my LabVIEW, Options, Paths look like your screen shot.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(544 Views)

Well, that sucks, because otherwise it might have pointed to a possible solution. Sorry.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(541 Views)