Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About How to develop Xnode

Solved!
Go to solution

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

@paul_cardinale wrote:

Maybe this will help.

Like giving a razor to a child. (No offence.)

"If you were supposed to use it, it wouldn't be a hidden."

Let the shaving begin!

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 25
(1,411 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

It has ended: they pulled the plug. No more development (for a decade), no NXG XNode. If it was successful, it would have been open by now.

There are multiple things wrong with that. No one has pulled the plug on them. They are still on your palette in 2018. And new XNode methods are added often. I haven't checked in 2018 but it is common to see new abilities with every version of LabVIEW. So development hasn't ended.  VIMs in 2016 and older were XNodes.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 25
(1,406 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

It has ended: they pulled the plug. No more development (for a decade), no NXG XNode. If it was successful, it would have been open by now.

There are multiple things wrong with that. No one has pulled the plug on them. They are still on your palette in 2018. And new XNode methods are added often. I haven't checked in 2018 but it is common to see new abilities with every version of LabVIEW. So development hasn't ended.  VIMs in 2016 and older were XNodes.

Same can be said for express VIs.

I did not (mean to) say no XNodes are being developed. Just that the XNode evolution is feature frozen. XNodes will not get new features\abilities, and the features they have, have been frozen for a long long time.

They did pull the plug, but it takes time for the sink to drain. NXG -> no XNodes. The plug is pulled, the sink will be empty then for sure.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 25
(1,391 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

I did not (mean to) say no XNodes are being developed. Just that the XNode evolution is feature frozen. XNodes will not get new features\abilities, and the features they have, have been frozen for a long long time.

Again read my message. NI is still adding new XNode abilities with new versions of LabVIEW. I haven't checked 2018 yet but when I last presented there were new ones which was a year and a half ago.

Is LabVIEW also the razor? Sure but as long as you are given all the important information about its status the risk is on you. Same with XNodes.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 25
(1,383 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:
Again read my message.

Guess you mean:

@Hooovahh wrote:
And new XNode methods are added often. I haven't checked in 2018 but it is common to see new abilities with every version of LabVIEW.

In my defense, "new XNodes methods" could mean new XNodes, as in implemented as XNodes.

Same for "new abilities", that could mean new LabVIEW abilities made with XNodes.

Could have been a bit clearer, and I should have read between the lines, and probably should have considered the source...

@Hooovahh wrote:

NI is still adding new XNode abilities with new versions of LabVIEW. I haven't checked 2018 yet but when I last presented there were new ones which was a year and a half ago.

Which features where added? Not second guessing, but I am curious.

Again in my defense, I'm stuck in 2013, and haven't noticed much change.

@Hooovahh wrote:

Is LabVIEW also the razor? Sure but as long as you are given all the important information about its status the risk is on you. Same with XNodes.

That's what I'm doing in this thread: give all important information about its status...

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 25
(1,378 Views)
‎09-13-2018 12:44 PM

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

Well, gee, nobody notices much change when they're stuck.
"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 25
(1,356 Views)

@paul_cardinale wrote:
‎09-13-2018 12:44 PM

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

Well, gee, nobody notices much change when they're stuck.

So enlighten me...

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 25
(1,347 Views)

I'm not ignoring this, I just want to spin up a VM with multiple versions of LabVIEW to do a test but Monday after traveling is busy...

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 25
(1,336 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

@Hooovahh

Which features where added? Not second guessing, but I am curious. 

In LabVIEW 2011 there were 72 Abilities, 2012 added 1, and 2013 added 2.  I know some things were added to support better localization, and I can't remember what version that was added in.  The XNode Manager which is from 8.2 has only 49 abilities, but I see some older ones are in the list so this isn't quite accurate.  I don't have access to those versions of LabVIEW in between at the moment, to see what was added and when.  It is possible my memory of a bunch being added was from going from the XNode Manager to then reading the ones in the LabVIEW resource files.  Here is some info on the 3 that were added in 2012 and 2013.

Spoiler
OnResize2 - This ability VI is called by LabVIEW after the user resizes the XNode. Bounds is a rectangle whose coordinates are given relative to the old top-left corner of the XNode. You must either return a UpdateImageAndBounds reply or not return anything, otherwise LabVIEW will generate an error. If you return UpdateImageAndBounds, you may also return other reply strings.

Spoiler
ExportStrings - This ability VI is triggered by the "Tools > Advanced > Export Strings..." menu option.
"Keys" should be an array of strings which can be imported or exported for localization.
"Values" should be an array of values for each key representing the XNode's current state.

ImportStrings - This ability VI is triggered by the "Tools > Advanced > Import Strings..." menu option.
"Keys" should be an array of strings which can be imported or exported for localization.
"Values" should be an array of values for each key representing the XNode's current state.

In addition to this a few descriptions have been updated while leaving the current ability name.  I didn't go through these but it could be minor typos or simple updates.  I created a few abilities in 2012 and 2018 to see if any of the data types have changed and they all seem the same, but I didn't check them all.  I know that GetTerms didn't always have the English Name string, but that might have been because GetTerms4 wasn't in the XNode Manager.

I'll admit that development has slowed and I'll say no new abilities have been added recently, but the main issue I took with your previous statement was the "no development...for a decade" comment in particular.  Internally I know NI has been looking to avoid using XNodes and to come up with native implementations of things.  But for the features to be locked for 10 years I'd expect nothing to have been changed since LabVIEW 8.6 and we can see that in 5 years ago abilities were added.  That being said, LabVIEW developers can't make native LabVIEW functions and the closest we have is XNodes.  If NI allowed me to make my own primitives I probably would, and until they do I'll keep banging the XNode drum.  If I get some time and access to older versions I'll install them to my VM and see when others were added because I'm curious myself.

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 25
(1,324 Views)

We can compromise:

"hardly no development for a decade", "no development for half a decade" Smiley LOL.

Some random statements:

+ XNodes can be fun. Definitely wouldn't hurt anybody to know about them, if only for the knowledge you gain from all the digging.

+ They can be useful (e.g. NI ships some useful ones).

+ They tend to burn (my) time. So I'd only create one when I'm absolutely sure it's feasible, and very useful.

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 25
(1,307 Views)