LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A numeric control ignores data entry limits when entry is typed, why?

Solved!
Go to solution

Data entry limits set in the property box seem to have no effect on data entry. A value written to a property node limits the input from increment buttons but not data that is typed into the control. How do I prevent a numeric control from accepting values outside of desired limits? In the attached example why can I type in any number to the control and the data entry limit is ignored?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(5,703 Views)

Is your response to value outside limits set to coerce?

Which LabVIEW version are you using?

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Message 2 of 10
(5,693 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author mmiers

In the Data Entry properties window for the Numeric control, you have the "Response to value outside limits" set to ignore.  Change it to coerce.

- tbob

Inventor of the WORM Global
Message 3 of 10
(5,692 Views)

I'm using labview 8.6.1. The response to values property was flipping back to ignore when I set it. I restarted Labview and tried again, It seems to work fine now so setting the "response to values outside of limits" property to coerce does solve the problem. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(5,664 Views)

@mmiers wrote:

I'm using labview 8.6.1. The response to values property was flipping back to ignore when I set it. I restarted Labview and tried again, It seems to work fine now so setting the "response to values outside of limits" property to coerce does solve the problem. Thanks.

I believe 8.6 had a bug in setting the control properties.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(5,638 Views)

Ben wrote:

That's why I asked what version he was using.  I think the bug was only with the Properties Window and the workaround was to use property nodes.  Anyway, I think it was fixed in 8.6.1 (is that the same as 8.6.1f1?), which he is using.

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(5,631 Views)

@elset191 wrote:

Ben wrote:

That's why I asked what version he was using.  I think the bug was only with the Properties Window and the workaround was to use property nodes.  Anyway, I think it was fixed in 8.6.1 (is that the same as 8.6.1f1?), which he is using.

I don't have fix version memorized but the symptoms were:

First attempt to set a control worked fine.

Second attempt were always bad.

Exit LV and restart, again would work on one control.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(5,628 Views)

I get the same error.

I have Labview 8.6.1 what do I do to fix the problem? 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(5,373 Views)

Which of the above pieces of advice did you follow?  And which aren't working?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(5,345 Views)

Just what we need - more spam.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(4,687 Views)