LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
altenbach

"Auto-insert Feedback Node in cycles" should be off by default

As mentioned here long ago in another discussion, I really dislike the option Auto-insert Feedback Node in cycles.

Let me quote my old opinion here:

"Which I think should NOT be the default behavior: It "fixes" potentially incorrect code by throwing even more potentially incorrect code at it. I can't remember a single instance where I wanted that behavior."

While I wish this option would disappear completely, I think at least it should be off by default.

There are plenty of examples (e.g. here or here) where an auto feedback node insertion covered up a serious dataflow issue by making the VI no longer broken. This is a disservice to the new programmer who might not even understand what a feedback node really does.

A feedback node needs to be intentionally placed in all cases.

18 Comments
Darin.K
Trusted Enthusiast

I thought this would be long lost to duplicate land, but while the visibility is high.

There are various stages to this particular feature:

fear, loathing, curiosity, dabbling, acceptance, enjoyment, nirvana

When you overcome the fear and loathing, you find a very interesting feature.  I first used it as a shortcut to add shift registers to loops.  By moving the initializer you can fine tune the SR creation.  As I have phased out SRs in favor of FNs I do this less, I just create the FNs with this method.

As to the wiring "accidents" let me suggest decaf.  Seriously, though, when I do this accidently, I get broken wires to the FN, otherwise I get good wires.  I would suggest tweaking the behavior, if the wires are not broken drop the FN, otherwise assume accident.

If you turn this off by default, it is about the same as eliminating the feature (not good IMO).  Having it on by default creates the opportunity for discovery that otherwise will not happen.  Perhaps the first time LV can pop up a dialog with a checkmark to disable this feature.  Raises awareness it a minimally intrusive fashion.

I enjoy this feature, it could approach Nirvana if for some reason LV did not choose the "wrong" direction for the dropped FN by default.

SteveChandler
Trusted Enthusiast

Active Participant Darin.K wrote: I thought this would be long lost to duplicate land, but while the visibility is high.

As to the wiring "accidents" let me suggest decaf

Smiley Very Happy

Man Darin I wish I could give your comment a kudo just for that! There was a time when I would have supported disabling this feature but I really like it. I went through all those stages and I probably never would have if this were off by default. I don't really care what the default is because I always tweak my settings anyway.

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

altenbach
Knight of NI

>  Perhaps the first time LV can pop up a dialog with a checkmark to disable this feature.

Good points, Darin! Maybe something like this? 😄

cycleresponse.png

Darin.K
Trusted Enthusiast

I like that much better than mine.  Smiley Very Happy

Clippie.png

dthor
Active Participant

Darin.K@ wrote:

I would suggest tweaking the behavior, if the wires are not broken drop the FN, otherwise assume accident

I think this is a great solution! Those who know how to use them would continue to benefit, and those who don't (like me) would no longer be annoyed by them popping up. Smiley Happy

SteveChandler
Trusted Enthusiast
Kudos conditional upon bringing back Clippy!
=====================
LabVIEW 2012

G-Money
NI Employee (retired)
gooohestpoo

It depends on the purpose of this option I guess. 🙂

Best Regards,
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------