LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Neil.Pate

glyphs in case structure menus

This idea is currently in the LabVIEW NXG backlog. For LabVIEW 20xx, I'm moving the idea back to the 'New' status to be considered for a future LabVIEW 20xx release.

Another for the wish list.

It would be great if the right-click context menu on a case structure had small glyphs to the left of the text (think similar to the TortoiseSVN context menu for those that know what I am talking about).

The reason behind my request is that it often takes me quite a while (a few seconds really, but it slows me down), to figure out which menu item will duplicate a case and which will delete a case. For some reason my brain interprets duplicate and delete as the same and I always have to think about it.

A simple "+" glyph next to add, a "-" next to delete etc would go a long way to making those menu choices a lot simpler.

See attached pic for an mock up.

case glyphs.PNG

There are probably lots of menus that could benefit from something like this.

10 Comments
JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast
Invariably, I have a difficult time finding three often-used right-click menu items: Duplicate Case, Remove Case Structure, and Remove Diagram Disable Structure. Small glyphs is an excellent idea for visual-scanning recognition. I'm a scanner, which is why it takes me so long to find those items. Literally, if I read the items, I could find it faster, but instead, like a robot, I resort to scanning through the "middle area" of the list 4-5 times before I find it. (Personal problem, or GUI shortcoming? Arguable...)
Neil.Pate
Active Participant

I think the current state of the menus (i.e. glyph-less) is just a legacy thing. Now is our time to change it 🙂

You are not alone I think in struggling with the text, I am quite happy undo works as I frequently delete instead of duplicating etc.

crelf
Trusted Enthusiast
I'm all for graphical representations to improve intuiativity, and I think this is a great idea (kudos given).  That said, don't go overboard and put glyphs next to everything - that becomes almost as unintuative as no glyphs at all.  Just glyph the more commonly-used items.

Copyright © 2004-2023 Christopher G. Relf. Some Rights Reserved. This posting is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.
crelf
Trusted Enthusiast
Personal problem, or GUI shortcoming? Arguable...
The answer is yes 🙂

Copyright © 2004-2023 Christopher G. Relf. Some Rights Reserved. This posting is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.
PJM_Labview
Active Participant

Since we are talking about menu with glyphs, I would love to have the capaibility to natively create menu (standard or right click) with glyphs.

Different idea, still kudo for this one.

vipm.io | jki.net

JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

crelf... yeah, there is a point where you will crest the maximum visual efficiency, and you're back on the downhill slide for intuitiveness.

For the NI engineer who gets assigned to the feature if it gets approved: please keep us, the community, in the design loop and post prelim artwork. It shouldn't take but a few iterations for a general consensus on what items are best candidates for glyphs.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: In Development

Neil.Pate
Active Participant

Hooray!

Is this going to make it into Current-gen or only NXG?

Darren
Proven Zealot

As of right now, only LabVIEW NXG menus are capable of displaying images. I am not aware of any plans for this functionality to be implemented in LabVIEW.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: New

This idea is currently in the LabVIEW NXG backlog. For LabVIEW 20xx, I'm moving the idea back to the 'New' status to be considered for a future LabVIEW 20xx release.