LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarcoMauri

Wait (ms) with error pass-through

Hi!

Maybe this has been already requested elsewhere and I'm missing it....

but it would be useful to have a Wait (ms) with connectors for error in and out.

This can help keeping the BD clean...

Marco

18613iCF039EA34765F743

60 Comments
dthor
Active Participant

Cool. I'm glad that this actually went somewhere. And, even though I voted on it, I'm kinda glad that it turned out this way.

If I want a wait-with-errors, then I use my own or OpenG. If I don't need that kind of control, I use NI's primitive.

GregSands
Active Participant

I agree with dthor - getting this depth of response and consideration shows that NI does take the IE seriously.  Thanks AQ.

I do wonder whether the post explaining the reasons can be made easier to find, either by moving to the top, or by linking to it in the "Declined for reasons..." line.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined
JB
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

Why not adding an additional one with the error in and out terminals ?

Mads
Active Participant

Just like the while and for loop have the option to show a conditional terminal, the Wait primitive could stay as it is, but with the option to show *its* conditional terminals (i.e. error terminals).

That way it will stay backwards compatible, and the current behaviour is the default until the user explicitly decides to have the execution controlled by an input/output. This reduces the issue that made NI turn down the idea (at least below the advantage point) ;-).

crossrulz
Knight of NI

Mads,

Similar to the Read Text File has the right-click option to Read Lines.  (Wanted to show a primitive with a similar option).  I think that would be a great compromise.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

JB/Mads/crossrulz: Your proposed solutions were both discussed and rejected for reasons already discussed in my post. We spent a long time on this... there's pretty much no variation on this theme that we didn't evaluate.

Oligarlicky

I made subVI icons that hopefully make it more clear what each wait does

three waits.PNG

Manzolli
Active Participant

Agree with dthor. We should not expect that NI will create every VI we need. I created a simple VI that has the error terminals. By default, executes the wait when the "error in" has an error. This behaviour can easily changed putting a true value in the Boolean terminal "on error bypass Wait". I hope it helps for some people that kudoed this idea. If you have a suggestion to make the VI better, find an error, or want to talk about it, please feel free to give me a feedback.

The VI ("Wait with error terminals.vi") and a simple test VI ("test Wait with error terminal.vi") can be downloaded from: Manzolli's Stuff

André Manzolli

Mechanical Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Developer - CLD
LabVIEW Champion
Curitiba - PR - Brazil
jkodosky
NI Employee (retired)

Here is a simple macro that will stall the propagation of any data wire.  Simply unzip this in your user.lib/macros folder.  It's for version 2013 but can be saved for previous versions or loaded in later versions.

Here's what it looks like in use:

Screen Shot 2015-08-13 at 12.40.42 PM.png

and here's the code it scripts inline (behind the icon):

Screen Shot 2015-08-13 at 1.52.38 PM.png

Here's the zip file:

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-43686

if you can't get to it you can build it yourself very simply:

Screen Shot 2015-08-13 at 1.30.08 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-08-13 at 1.45.46 PM.png

Save it in user.lib/macros/.  Then in the finder change the extension from ".vi" to ".vim" so it will be recognized as a macro.  The user.lib/macros palette should automatically update on the next launch of LabVIEW.