LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Broken_Arrow

Text Formatted Into A Numeric Control Should Not Be Selectable - it's confusing to user

Text, formatted into a control as shown below, is handy, but can be confusing to a user since it is selectable. A user may try to change it - for instance from "mA" to "A". Further, they may triple-click (selecting all) then think that they have to enter the "mA" after the number. Further, there is a bug (in my opinion), where the number can actually change if you try certain entries into the uneditable text. Whether it is a bug or not, if LabVIEW didn't allow you select the text, all would be well.

text in numerics.png

Richard

16 Comments
Broken_Arrow
Active Participant

All good points. However, "I would do it this way" doesn't solve anything, It educates, but it doesn't solve the issue presented in the Idea.

Richard

JÞB
Knight of NI

Kudos- but, the format specifier is the format specifier---- should the advanced format property editor open in the IDE when this is selected?  and HOW should the formatted text appear at run time to show it is included as formatting?

Addendum: is this more of a "style guide" thing?  Or, does it really have programming implications?  I might be persuaded by either argument but, I am leaning toward a style guide caveat.

Either way Richard makes a valid point.  The format specified format should be unselectable und immutable outside the control property browser

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
JÞB
Knight of NI

Thinking though it again-

the example used units- those SHOULD be units, not formatted text.  Units serve the need well.  Formatting does not change value.  The current IDE supports this.

@BA- when usuing units use units.  when adding decorations to numbers -  remember to use units.

Kudos remain- but this should be addressed in the style guide ( IMO)

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
altenbach
Knight of NI

> However, "I would do it this way" doesn't solve anything, It educates, but it doesn't solve the issue presented in the Idea.

I think that my suggestion to have an option to disallow manual SI entries for numerics can solve the part of the problem when the user tries to type text after the number and the number changes by accident due to an SI prefix. If the number value no longer magically changes and the trailing string always remains invariant, the user will figure out quickly that it cannot be edited or changed, thus solving the other issue. 😉

If the user tries (and is allowed) to change the SI prefix, my suggestion was to use SI units for the display and keep only the additional "A". This will allow changing from mA to kA by the user without missing a beat and the value will even be right automatically. The current implementation is sufficient for this.

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

Thanks for the nugget. I knew of the advanced formatting mode but had NO idea of this kind of possible use...

Broken_Arrow
Active Participant

I have personally never been satisfied with how units work in LabVIEW. Aside from units, however, still, the text should not be selectable.Back to units, it is safe to use formatted text for units when, in the case of range limited controls, the unit can never change. For example, a control that is limited to 4 to 20.... "mA", or 0 to 5.... "Volts", etc. That being said, I agree with what everyone has said. I will likely go back to using the "wayward free text" until this is resolved. My users can not be bothered with these quirks.

Richard