LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JackDunaway

Static Event Registration of an Array Element

I would like to be able to make static event registrations for an element that is contained within an array. Note: this is not just a registration of an event that happens to the array, but an event that happens to an element in the array.

This can currently be achieved with dynamic event registration, but I would like static event registration for two reasons: less code, and dynamic event registration must occur with a FP showing whereas static event registration never errors (meaning dynamic events can pose a problem for plug-in architectures using SubPanels).

Here's one specific example achieved with the current method of dynamic event registration. I have an array of a cluster that has two elements, but I only want to know when a user clicks on the Boolean.

DynamicEventReg.png

I want to be able to statically register that same event, which would look something like this (in 8.6.1):

StaticEventSelection.png

As a bonus, as part of the event data cluster on the left-hand side of the event structure, I would like an I32 array called "Index" that gives the multi-dimensional index of the item clicked.

Message Edited by Laura F. on 06-03-2010 04:45 PM
4 Comments
JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast
Moderator has been notified to correctly spell "Registration" in the title of this Idea. Just realized I spelled "Regisration"... oops.
smmarlow

Kudos!  This an oldie, but a search turned it up while I was going to post the same idea.  I want this now!  Can't we bump older ideas to the top of "hot ideas" when they get new kudos and positive comments???

dthor
Active Participant

I'm glad you posted on this idea smmarlow. I wouldn't have seen it otherwise, and I think it's a great idea.

PatrickR

Yes, this would be helpful with my current application.   I have an array of clusters, which contain a button so that you can edit that specific cluster.  It would be nice to be able to add an event handler through the usual process instead of requiring coding to get the same effect.