LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
crelf

Set "treat read-only VIs as locked" to true as default

We use the lock/unlock SCC method, and one thing I often forget to do on a new installation of LabVIEW is to set "treat read-only VIs as locked" to true.  I think this option should be set to true by default.

Copyright © 2004-2023 Christopher G. Relf. Some Rights Reserved. This posting is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.
6 Comments
G-Money
NI Employee (retired)

I know this is a noob question but could you post an image of the option you are referring to? I'm sure that people familiar with SCC in LV will know this right off the bat but I lack that knowledge and it could help developers know exactly what the change.

crelf
Trusted Enthusiast

I'd also like to see the "Do not save automatic changes" checked by default too (maybe it already is?  I don't remember).

Treat read-only VIs as locked.gif

Copyright © 2004-2023 Christopher G. Relf. Some Rights Reserved. This posting is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.
danny_t
Active Participant

Sorry but representing a team who work with a SCC that is integrated with LabVIEW I would not like this change to happen, the default is just as I am my team want it. I would think this is a no-win suggestion in a way because as many people would like this one way as the other .

Dannyt

Danny Thomson AshVire Ltd
PhillipBrooks
Active Participant

I don't use source control; I can't say that I've ever noticed or used this setting in 10+ years...

Maybe the settings could be moved from 'Environment' to 'Source Control'?

If Source Control Provider Name is < None > then the Settings could be true. If a Source Control Provider is selected, then the approriate behavior for the selected provider could be set...

Now is the right time to use %^<%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%3uZ>T
If you don't hate time zones, you're not a real programmer.

"You are what you don't automate"
Inplaceness is synonymous with insidiousness

crelf
Trusted Enthusiast

dannyt wrote: "...representing a team who work with a SCC that is integrated with LabVIEW I would not like this change to happen, the default is just as I am my team want it."

Forget I mentioned SCC, as this really isn't a SCC issue.  In general, ask yourself this question: should you be able to edit a read only file without explicitly setting it to edit mode?  I think the answer is no.

Phillip Brooks wrote: "I don't use source control; I can't say that I've ever noticed or used this setting in 10+ years..."

I'm guessing that's because none of your VIs are ever read-only? 🙂

Phillip Brooks wrote: "Maybe the settings could be moved from 'Environment' to 'Source Control'?"

I don't think so - in fact, I should never have mentioned SCC, as this is (see my reply above) only about the default behavior on editing read-only files.  The fact that a SCC client might have set the read-only flag is irrelevant.

Phillip Brooks wrote: "If Source Control Provider Name is < None > then the Settings could be true. If a Source Control Provider is selected, then the approriate behavior for the selected provider could be set..."

That could work too, as an additional step.

drval

I think this is an outstanding idea.  Read-Only should presume "Don't Touch Unless you REALLY Want to" so, as CRELF puts it, make the defaults:

"treat read-only VIs as locked" set to true and

"Do not save automatic changes" set to true