From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jgcode

Public Folder for Icon Templates in new Icon Editor

I would like a public folder to be used as the default storage for the Icon Editor

OR

At least a public folder it looks to as well as <osdatadir>:\Icon Templates.

The reason for this is I would like to install icon templates as packages using VIPM/OGPB.

The current user-specific location of <osdatadir>:\Icon Templates does not suit this framework for managing packages.

Certified LabVIEW Architect * LabVIEW Champion
4 Comments
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

There is an update for the LV 2009 icon editor (posted Sept 14, 2009) available here:

http://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-6301

This update incorporates many suggestions that we got right off the bat from users and fixes a number of reported bugs.

An entire discussion forum exists for discussions about improving/extending the Icon Editor. It can be found here:

http://decibel.ni.com/content/groups/enhanced-icon-editor-2009

jgcode
Active Participant

Thanks for posting AQ. You can see from the history of the discussion forum that I was one of the first to post, and after discussing the above with NI (Th Sa), LAVA and JKI,  I decided to make this a request on the Idea Exchange forum. I also have the upgrade, as I also posted about this problem as well.

I was able to create a successful workaround and made a OGPB package that installs the icons via install scripts, as the default directory is not supported in VIPM nor OGPB.

It would still be cool (and easier) if there was a public folder that was not User/OS dependent - maybe under the LabVIEW directory structure??

Just so I could better manage the icons. 

Cheers!!

JG 

MichaelAivaliotis
Active Participant
Not sure what you mean by public folder. <osdatadir> is public.

Michael Aivaliotis
VI Shots LLC
jgcode
Active Participant

Hi Michael, thanks for posting!

To clarify, I mean that <osdatadir> is user dependent, meaning when it gets resolved it is set to that current user and not some common folder.

Sorry for the confusion, maybe common is a better term than public when discussing folders???

I am talking of common/public folder e.g. <application> or <vi.lib> whereby any user logged in is accessing the same folder. 

Anyways, this makes distributing packages tricky (altho I have the workaround):

a) As the location will be different on each PC

b) <osdatadir> is not supported by OGPB/VIPM

I hope this makes sense

Cheers!!

JG