From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Drew_T

Preserve Display Formatting When Creating a Constant from a Terminal or Strict Typedef

Reported as CAR 419109

When creating a control or indicator based on a subVI terminal or strict typedef, formatting (speicifically the radix) is preserved.  However, when creating a constant from the same source, the format is removed.  This can cause incorrect behavior to inadvertantly be implemented when dealing with components that use Octal or Hexadecimal, as incorrect values can be input under the assumption of the correct formatting.

radix.png

Instead, block diagram constants should display the same behavior as controls and indicators, and maintain the correct radix/formatting when created from an existing source.

Drew T.
Camber Ridge, LLC.
5 Comments
Intaris
Proven Zealot

Yes, Yes and Yes.

I would love if ALL controls on Sub-VI FPs, when set to hexadecimal display, would also create a corresponding constant when right-clicking.  This would go a step further than this idea which only refers to strict typedefs.

PaulG.
Active Participant

" ... when creating a constant from the same source, the format is removed."

This sounds like a bug.

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
JB
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

Some days ago I prepared this picture with the plan to write a similar idea with strict typed defs. So, as said by Intaris : Yes, Yes and Yes.

Cluster with radix.jpg

Jeff-P
NI Employee (retired)

I have filed CAR 419109 regarding this. I agree with the behavior that creating a constant should create a constant with the same radix.

Regards,

Jeff Peacock 

Product Support Engineer | LabVIEW R&D | National Instruments 

JordanG
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: Declined
Reported as CAR 419109