LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please clearly mark the IMAQ functions that require a Run-Time License to work.

I suggest that NI clearly mark those functions in IMAQ that require a run-time license.  Perhaps color their icons pink or some noticeable color.  There is a lot of misinformation in NI technical support regarding this issue.  I wasted a lot of time developing an IMAQ program and found out later that it required a run-time license that my client did not want to buy.  So, I had to rework the code to eliminate those functions that require a run-time license.

admin note: Invalid link has been removed.

7 Comments
ErnieH
Active Participant

I agree 100%. There should be no confusion on this or any other license issue.

GuenterMueller
Active Participant
I do not desire to have the affected icons appear in a special color or even see "re-designed" icons everywhere on my block diagrams. I would at most vote for a tool to check for this issue.
MadScientist

I agree about the confusion over which VIs need additional licenses for IMAQ and all other add-ons, and which specific licences are required for a created program. I would like a feature added that scans your program for all VIs requiring additional runtime engines, and lists the VIs and runtime engines at the end of the scan. I am not sure about changing the icons and palettes, as it may confuse existing users - perhaps the context help should say whether a VI requires a licensed runtime engine.

drjdpowell
Trusted Enthusiast

Link no longer works.   Is this list anywhere?

Kristi_Martinez
NI Employee (retired)

Hi drjdpowell,

In an effort to increase findability and search relevancy of our website,  periodically we have been working to clean out content that is no longer deemed useful to the majority of our users.  We use a combination of web analytics and expert opinion to help us determine what content to retire. Unfortunately, the link you are referring to here has already been removed from our internal content management system, and thus there is no way to retrieve them.

Best Regards,
Kristi Martinez
NI Community Support
drjdpowell
Trusted Enthusiast

To find out what is available without a Vision licence, I installed LabVIEW and IMAQdx on a clean virtual machine.   Here is a screenshot of the menus:

IMAQdx No Vision.PNG

wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

I always though IMAQmx need a run time license, that came with Vision?