From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AdarshaPakala

OSK(onscreen keyboard) built in LabVIEW base package

As touch screens are becoming very popular and limitation of using keyboards in the production sites, the OSK is becoming very popular requirement and in LabVIEW applications.

Add OSK as an in-built property to String and Numeric controller. Based on control type open the numeric only or full keyboard.

AdarshaPakala_0-1620737397931.png

The property can be set manually or programmatically.

Access to source code of OSK to customize the keyboard.

Multilingual keyboard option.

Thank you

Adarsh

CLA from 2014

4 Comments
wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI
AdarshaPakala

thank you for the information.

I see following limitations with the suggested approach.

1. All the UI control (wich takes user input), we need to write the event handling code to open the keyboard.
  2. Code size increases as the number of UI controls increase.
  3. We can’t customize the keyboard - example I need to have numeric keyboard for numeric controllers and string + numeric for string controller. This is not possible.
wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

1. All the UI control (wich takes user input), we need to write the event handling code to open the keyboard.

It would be convenient if LabVIEW handled this.

2. Code size increases as the number of UI controls increase.

You can and make 1 VI that handles it all controls, by dynamically registering for all controls on a VI.

3. We can’t customize the keyboard - example I need to have numeric keyboard for numeric controllers and string + numeric for string controller. This is not possible.

I'm not sure if that's the norm.

I don't think LabVIEW should create an OSK. The OS seems to do that, and the OS's OSK is what users expect.

Maybe LabVIEW can set a regional or something to have some control, but the OSK feels more like a OS thing to me.

Something to consider for someone implementing this...

AdarshaPakala

I'm not sure if that's the norm.

I don't think LabVIEW should create an OSK. The OS seems to do that, and the OS's OSK is what users expect.

I don’t think you are looking at the bigger picture😉  There is not much option to customize the OS OSKs. For example, I had so many Kiosks kind of application where customer wants to remove the ‘Windows’, ‘Alt’, ‘Ctrl’ etc. buttons to avoid user accessing the OS features(Like Task manager, Device Manager etc) using the OSKs. As off now we can’t customize the OS OSKs much and we don’t know when OS providers will come up with features do that.

As touch screen applications are increasing having an integrated OSK with LabVIEW gives more flexibility and time saving in development.

Thank you

Adarsh

LabVIEW from 2006

CLA from 2014