LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hypiz

Numeric constant type visualization

Similar to Visible items>Radix right-click menu it would be highly beneficial to have the same possibility for showing (and switching) of Representation.

ice_video_20200504-153122.gif

12 Comments
crossrulz
Knight of NI

I have ran into enough issues with new users messing up what I gave them because they didn't catch the representation of a numeric going into a Type Cast or Unflatten From String.  I typically make the label the representation.  I'm not totally convinced this will just add noise, but I'm giving my Kudos anyway to investigate it.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Hypiz

For those users it can stay a hidden feature as the radix is. Turned off by default.

wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

If this is going to happen, the images needs to be good (better). Those representation images in the video tell me just about as much as no image. Even knowing what the representation is, I can't make out what those images represent.

A list of proposed images for of all (15) representations might make me like this idea.

wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

>For those users it can stay a hidden feature as the radix is. Turned off by default.

I think he's on your side.

I'd need more details (on the images) to give a kudo.

Hypiz

> A list of proposed images for of all (15) representations might make me like this idea.

I think, it could look as terminals do.

TypeLabels.PNG

wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

>> A list of proposed images for of all (15) representations might make me like this idea.

>I think, it could look as terminals do.

That looks good. The graphics got blurred in the video.

I'd prefer rotating the text clockwise, but +1 for me.

Numeric Representation.png

Hypiz

I'd prefer rotating the text clockwise, but +1 for me.

I wouldn't but it could be caused by "regional standards". 🙂

https://www.quora.com/Typography-Why-do-some-texts-on-book-spines-and-bottles-read-from-bottom-to-to...

wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

>I wouldn't but it could be caused by "regional standards".

I came very close to mentioning that myself 😁.

paul_cardinale
Trusted Enthusiast

I could make those things with XNodes.

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

>I could make those things with XNodes.

Wouldn't you need to replicate the entire user interaction in the picture control façade of the XNode?

Clicking in it, getting a cursor, moving the cursor around with the keyboard? And the menus, not just the standard ones, but also the added right click menu plug ins? Copy, paste, etc.?

I don't know of a way to embed the node in an XNode, so you can simply add to it's functionality. Then again, timed loops seem to add XNodes to a normal loop... If you know how to do this, I'd be interested.