From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zenthoef

New LabVIEW Installation Retains Options

When installing a new version of LabVIEW, I always find myself resetting all of the options I previously changed from the default settings in the Tools -> Options menu. This means I have to spend my time remembering what options I changed and where in the Options menu I need to change them. It would be nice if a newer installation of LabVIEW looked at the older version's Options settings and then applied those settings to the new installation.

The same idea applies to how I configure the palettes on the block diagram. It would be nice if newer installations looked at how I configure my palettes and then set them up the same way. 

With these changes transitioning to a newer version of LabVIEW might be even more seamless for users that change their settings from the default settings. 

13 Comments
StevenM
NI Employee (retired)

Hi zenthoef,

The LabVIEW Upgrade Notes, in a section titled Copying Environment Settings from a Previous Version of LabVIEW, contains information that help relieve you of some of the work you describe. Be sure to note the Caution in that section.

Hope this helps,

-Steve M.

LabVIEW Documentation

zenthoef
Active Participant

Hi Steve -

Thanks for referencing that. I am aware that can be done. What I am getting at is it would be nice if this process was automated. If the automation was smart enough it could take the caution in that section into account to only update environment settings that were set in a previous version. This then leaves new environment settings untouched. 

Manzolli
Active Participant

Would be great if the installer checks the compatible installed versions and asks: Do you want to import the settings from any of the following versions?

Agree with zenthoef, it's something that should be automated because people at NI can figure out how to do it safely.

André Manzolli

Mechanical Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Developer - CLD
LabVIEW Champion
Curitiba - PR - Brazil
chris.b
NI Employee (retired)
you have my vote!
Chris Bolin
LabVIEW Partner Program, CLA
instrumento
Active Participant

Vote for this too.  We stayed at LV7 for so long and only recently jumped into the here's a new version bandwagon and couldn't believe this is not the way it is done.

RavensFan
Knight of NI

Instrumento, you need to click the Kudoes icon if you want to vote for it.

RavensFan
Knight of NI

Repeated by mistake.

dthor
Active Participant

Along the same lines:

When upgrading, I would really like it if only items you have currently installed were selected for install/upgrade. I just upgraded from 2012 to 2012 SP1 and I wasn't watching my IT guy when he was doing things and he installed EVERYTHING because that was the default. Realtime modules, touchpanel, etc. etc. None of which I use. All this does is lead to wasted space and an annoying popup about trial periods expiring.

For example:

If I have LV Full, the RT module, and the vision dev module installed under 2012 and I upgrade to 2013, the only items that should install by default are LV Full, RT, and vision. Motion assistant, robotics, PID, and all those others should be marked as "do not install" by default.

vitoi
Active Participant

Kudos. I agree with others, it shoudl be done by the installer. The LabVIEW Upgrade Notes, is not the way to go.

Peter_B

I have been waiting patiently for this automated option for 20 years now !!

Peter