LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Noxious

Native SSH and SFTP Support

LabVIEW needs native SSH and SFTP connection support. 

In the past, LabVIEW users have had to rely on third party applications like PuTTY or ExtraPuTTY to do very basic Linux/Unix secure shell operationsNot only does it add an extra layer of complexity to the code but it is also quite inflexibleIncreasing interoperability requirements of present day (and future) computer systems rely heavily on terminal services with a vast percentage of those being SSH basedIn the past 5 years I have needed to use SSH type connections more and more inside of LabVIEW, I do not see it ending anytime soon and I know I am not alone.

An SSH connection could be managed in much the same manor as the current VISA and TelNet connection are managedAn example of some of the tools could look something like the below image and could come standard or part of the Internet Connectivity Toolkit.

2010-06-03_LVIE_SSH.png

37 Comments
Hooovahh
Proven Zealot

Great idea and I kudo'ed, but I didn't see Labvolution mentioned yet.  Only used it in testing sftp but it worked well for what I needed, and it has no licensing cost.  The included license sounds similar to BSD but didn't specifically mention BSD.

PhillipBrooks
Active Participant

Happy 8th birthday!  Glad to see you are still a new idea.

I've been well. I've learned a lot about (and failed once or twice) using putty and ssh.net over the years.

I'm starting to learn Python now, and I've made a new, slightly paranoid friend named Paramiko. I also found something called PyVISA that I can use in a pinch.

Many of the little projects that I use LabVIEW for seem more and more suited to these new tools because they end up needing to interface to IoT and cloud based stuff that doesn't even relate to RS-232 or VISA.

Best of luck; I'm pulling for ya and hope you will someday transition to "In Progress".

Now is the right time to use %^<%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%3uZ>T
If you don't hate time zones, you're not a real programmer.

"You are what you don't automate"
Inplaceness is synonymous with insidiousness

jlokanis
Active Participant

Finally got to the point where I can no longer avoid SSH in my test system.  After digging into the issue I found this link and added my kudos.  Not like it will help much since this issue seems to be getting zero traction after nearly a decade now.

Hopefully I will be able to roll my own solution somehow or leverage one of the .NET solutions.  Not holding out any home NI will solve this one for me.

-John
------------------------
Certified LabVIEW Architect
PhillipBrooks
Active Participant

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/SSL-TLS-Support/idc-p/3574516

txs40

There is great SSH client implementation done by Christopher Field from Field R&D Services which can cater to most of the user requirements. Its based on libssh2 library and it is tested working on windows and Linux targets (PXI/cRIO).

It helped me immensely, I was searching for a cross platform compatible SSH implementation since I didn't want to get stuck with .NET method.  I hope someone finds this post useful.

#SSHinLabview

Regards,

Temin

PhillipBrooks
Active Participant

Well, the 2022 Public Beta has a little something in it for SSH. Hopefully an interactive shell option will be added...

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-2022-Public-Beta/LabVIEW-2022-Beta-Now-Available/m-p/4235601/highli...

crossrulz
Knight of NI

What Phillip is referring to is actually there in LabVIEW 2021.  There is a Data Communication->Protocols->SFTP palette that is worth examining.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5